Could a "campaign reboot" win McCain back the independents?

No, silly: 270 EV represents a clear mandate from the people!

How many Mondays do we have to wake up to read about a new direction for the McCain campaign? Do they just keep introducing a new “strategy of the week” until election day? (Or is it a “tactic of the week?”)

McCain: My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them.
It was all part of his mavericky plan. Brilliant!

As a moderate Republican who will be voting for Obama, I don’t think McCain can win back many votes. Moderates and Independents feel like they don’t even know who his is or what he stands for anymore. He has been so all over the map that anything he says can’t be relied upon. I used to have tremendous respect and admiration for McCain, but he now strikes me as a sell-out who will do or say whatever he thinks is necessary to get elected.

And while I appreciate that he didn’t just ignore the bigoted old bag, I have no doubt that Obama would have done even more to set the record straight.

Sorry to dissappoint anyone, but I think McCain’s goose is cooked.

I don’t think the campaign can really change anything with a campaign “reboot” unless that reboot includes kicking Palin off the ticket (impossible). She’s proven to be a huge wedge as she represents the fundamentalist right that independents simply won’t support, and everyone is all too aware of McCain’s age and the higher likelihood that Palin would become a president. Barring some huge gaffe or giant discovery about Obama, I think that it’s pretty much in the bag at this point.

I also agree with Enola Gay that McCain’s prior image as an independent-thinking individual has been pretty completely destroyed in recent months.

During the weekend I happened to catch the beginning of Geraldo Rivera’s “At large” show. The leading catchphrase? Something like “McCain’s campaign has made a 4 point cut into Obama’s lead. It’s down to 6 percent after being in double digits most of last week”.

Mind you: I didn’t watch long enough to find out where he was getting his numbers from, but if a Fox program starts by speaking how the lead is “only 6 points”… well, I really don’t think that McCain would be in truth leading by 2 points.

Did you note the date on that poll? In case you haven’t noticed, there has been some activity in th economy since 9/25, activity that, fairly or unfairly, is being widely laid at the feet of the party who has held the presidency for the past eight years. Ya think that might account for the current feeling that McCain is forked?

I didn’t like it then, when Bush barely won, and I don’t like it now, when Obama is up by quite a bit. When I vote for Mark Warner in November, it won’t make any difference if I vote in Harrisonburg, Blacksburg, or Vienna (apart from being registered in Blacksburg). Why should living in Virginia make my vote for Obama worth any more or less?

I have to say, for myself, that my impression of McCain is still very much as “an independent-thinking individual”. He seems to think, moment-to-moment, independently from fiscally conservative values, independently from any real plans for his desired administration, independently from what he said or thought yesterday or five minutes ago…

An interesting theme of this election, to me, has been the difference between tactics and strategy. McCain seems to try random, new tatics every week with no real strategy. Obama seems to have both; an insightful strategy and a host of various tactics to call on as needed. Ironic that McCain claimed that Obama doesn’t know the difference.

But to address the OP, I am also registered as an indepedent, but I have always been fiscally/politically conservative. My vote for Obama/McCain will be my first vote in years and years, and my first vote ever for a Democrat. Thanks to all y’all for helping me find the information I needed to make this decision.

Still feeling a little shaky with cognitive dissonance, but I can’t imagine anything McCain could do that would change my mind.

Wow, he actually said that. “Now we can hit the enemy firing in every direction.”

And Mosier, FYI, that poll was conducted in Rio three weeks ago by Duran Duran.

I’m not sure about the demographics of Virginia, but imagine that your state is dominated by two mega-metropolises and every election is decided by voters in those cities, who invariably choose the candidate who most slavishly caters to the interests of big city dwellers. If you were an inhabitant of a small town with its own needs and interests, wouldn’t you feel a bit left out–to the extent that it feels as if your vote is meaningless?

The chart on this page shows that Obama has led through most of the campaign according to most polls. The relative standings of the candidates now are not dramatically different from what they were in early July. Although Obama’s current lead is often attributed to the economic crisis as if this were a known fact, I think it is a gross oversimplification and ignores many other factors.

To address the OP, no a “reboot” won’t help McCain.

Obama has already been pushing the “erratic” talking point for awhile. If McCain executes another major change in direction it just reinforces the opposition’s criticism of him.

McCain is really in a tight box right now. He can’t go more negative without pissing off the moderates. He can’t stop going negative without pissing off his base. He can’t keep doing what he’s doing because it’s not working. But he can’t make a big change without looking weak and confused.

Rock, hard place, damned if he does, doesn’t, and all that.

I love this part:

and Palin…ha!

He got them the same place palin got the idea that the Branchflower report proves that she did nothing unethical or illegal in any way.

:slight_smile:

As to the op, even if he did it, it is too late.

Here, perhaps. As of 10/13/08, Obama leads McCain by 346 EVs to 181 with 11 votes tied.

And he can’t propose a reasonable solution to the nation’s economic problems, because he’s a Republican. :slight_smile:

I heard on CBS Radio News this morning that there is some call for the RNC to start putting money into important Senate races instead of into McCain’s campaign. That’s yet another place where Obama outmaneuvered him - if he had chose to use his own money, no one could take it away from him.

And I agree it is too late. Each swerve further shows he has no real program or position.

As an independent…No way in hell.

Palin’s Nomination pretty much destoryed the possibility that I’d vote for McCain. This “Obama pals around with Terrorists” crap pushed me over into voting for Obama.

McCain has been his own worst enemy in my eyes. To even get my vote back…Booting Palin off the ticket so hard that she leaves a palin shaped hole in the door would be a first step.

A second step would be getting up and threatening to personally clean the clock of everyone he hears who tries this “Obama is a terrorist” crap at his rallies or is associated with his campaign.

A third step would be to tell the religious right to personally go screw themselves.

Then I might think about voting for him

:smack:

(bolding added)

Like my lacey little Freudian slip?

Probably illustrates my lingering internal conflicts…

Considering how much time is left until the election, and how much polls can change in 3 weeks, I think everyone ought to take a step back and re-think the idea that Obama’s got anything in the bag. He’s ahead now. Three weeks ago they were tied. Three weeks before that McCain was ahead. Two weeks before that they were tied.

Nobody’s forked. The race isn’t over.