Could a singer suffer hearing loss from loudness of his own voice?

Okay, laugh, but what about operatic tenors like the late and great Luciano Pavarotti?

They belt out their arias so loudly, with their ears so close to the source,
that I wouldn’t be surprised if, in time, they went a little deaf.

And how about the Divas who stood very close to him again and again for the full length of the songs? Did any of them ever say he caused their ears to ring?

Oy. I tink I should have put dis tread vil go in Cafe Society.

Barn Owl: Hoping all is well with you. Singers don’t usually go deaf from their own voices because the sound is focussed and projected out the mouth. Most of what singers hear of their own voices are the bone resonances inside their own heads. Mind you, Nessun Dorma in a 3’ x 3’ tiled room would probably leave your ears ringing for a day, were you Pavarotti or Domingo or Ben Heppner.

From other singers, yes, this is a big problem. The worst situation is when someone is singing directly into someone else’s ear, and yes, singers and instrumentalists have a high rate of hearing loss. The statistics are arguably a bit skewed because singers/instrumentalists are much more sensitive to a change in their hearing that the average citizen. A quick google of musicians hearing loss turns up a lot of studies of the problem in orchestras, where you don’t have the same freedom to turn your head or walk away…

I am good shape, Ministre, and I hope you are in fine health, too.

Thank you for your informative post. I have wondered about hearing loss in orchestras (as well as opera singers) especially for the players who sit close to the horns.

Orchestra…hell try hanging out with a DCI drum and bugle corps horn and or percussion sections. Sometimes its amazing the music instruction staff is not totally deaf after one season.