Could Alabama beat the worst team in the NFL?

That would be awesome, especially if they did it the week before the Superbowl. NFL team with the #1 draft pick vs the college champion.

I’d even let them both play by their own rules: College team gets their huge roster and only needs 1 foot down for a completed catch, NFL team only has 46 players dressed and needs 2 feet down for a catch.

I envision it going something like this:

Raiders get the ball first:
Run for 12, run for 6, run for 19, run for 16, run for touchdown!

Alabama gets the ball:
Tackle for a loss (run). Tackle for a loss (screen pass). Sack! Punt blocked!

etc…
Football is a game won in the trenches, and the sheer domination of NFL interior linemen over their college counterparts would be devastating.

Yep. Just think about how much rookies tend to struggle in the NFL for the first few games – even the best ones. Now take away a year or two experience from some of them (the sophmore and junior starters) and the lack of an NFL-caliber training camp and put them against a professional team of mostly former college stars with a few to several years of NFL experience. It would be utter domination.

Alabama might have five or six players who are capable of magically transporting onto a bad NFL roster and starting right away at the mediocre-starter level, sans training camp and any NFL experience. But that’s about it. Even their best players are unlikely to be “good NFL players” in their very first NFL game.

I mean, we’ve had conversations before about what would happen if an NFL team played a CFL team. The consensus is clear; the NFL team would annihilate them.

A CFL team would destroy an NCAA team. The CFL team is largely made of the guys who might not be NFL material but were still some of the best players on their NCAA squads, and., of course, are now older and stronger.

The Chicago College All-Star Game was held from 1934 to 1976. According to Wikipedia: “In the 42 College All-Star Games, the defending pro champions won 31, the All-Stars won nine, and two were ties.” However, the last time the college team won was in 1963, the pros won the last 12 in a row, and people–including many of the players–had lost interest.

I’d like to see a modern version. College All-Stars vs. a combination of the worst starters in the NFL.

I see the Redskins managed to lose two of those as well.

Years ago I had a boss who played for a couple of seasons in the NFL as an offensive lineman - he said the jump from college (Stanford, where he played with John Elway) to pro was huge, like the jump from high school to college - everyone is just bigger/stronger/faster.

No

Before the early 60s the NFL was barely, sometimes not even a step up from college football. It’s was only when real TV money came in and salaries went up that more college players were incentivized to play pro ball than get better paying regular jobs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To put in perspective, there’s about 120 NCAAF FBS teams and 230ish draft spots every year. Say an average of 2000 of those players become draft eligible each year. Of those drafted let’s say half make it to the NFL.

I know math is not perfect but that adds up to 3% of all draft eligible players making the NFL that year. And that’s not counting smaller FCS teams. Even if I’m off, it’s still a very low number.

It’s like being the valedictorian of your High School and getting accepted to an Ivy League school: where it turns out, everyone else is a valedictorian too.

To steal from an old Milton Berle joke, “Only if they let Mary play”.

I’ve actually heard another William and Mary football joke. I remember a comedian years ago mentioning how it made the United States look bad to its enemies whenever it was reported that William and Mary had beaten Army.

Lou Holtz’s first head coaching job was with William and Mary. Though he did actually get them into a bowl game during his tenure there, I’ve read him saying that the team suffered from “too many Marys, and not enough Williams.”

Yeah but those were Super Bowl champs, the best in pro football. If it were the NFL’s worst vs. college’s best, it would be different - although, as others pointed out, in the old days there wasn’t that great of a difference in quality between the pros and the college kids, and today’s NFL’s worst team would still wipe the floor with Alabama anyway.

Being a Crimson Tide hater, though, I rather like the idea of finally seeing *someone *beating them 59-0 though :smiley:

Very, very unlikely. Only a few players on an elite college team are capable of playing on even a backup squad in the NFL.

Good points above.

Also, consider where the game is decided: on the lines.

Even if you have a ‘terrible’ team by NFL standards, all of these players were selected and evaluated by pro scouts. If the Crimson Tide were playing the equivalent of, say, the 2017 Cleveland Browns, as bad the Browns are (were), the Tide would still be facing offensive and defensive lines the likes of which they’ve never seen. Bigger, stronger, faster, and probably better coached, and experienced at dealing with elite linemen on the other side. The defense would most likely stuff the running game and Tua would be running for his life. A team that’s used to running up 50-point margins of victory against FBS squads and 30-point margins against other SEC teams would find it challenging to move the ball at all.

It’s also worth pointing out that as historically bad as the Browns were, they were still competitive. They still came close to winning games. They just couldn’t make the right plays at the right time. But put a college team in the pros, and they probably wouldn’t even be able to compete. They just wouldn’t have the horses to run the race. Nick Saban’s or Dabo Swinny’s coaching wizardry might make it interesting on the first one or two possessions, but things would probably get ugly pretty quickly.

On a really good day a college baseball team might beat a AAA baseball team.

We’ve talked about college basketball before (narf)

BUT…from my experience (without any real-life evidence to back it up. Meaning i don’t think they play each other) I DO maintain a US college soccer powerhouse would be able to hang with a second (if lucky) or third tier English team…at least in my day when the college team were some serious athletes and the English teams were smoking in the tunnels before the matches and having a pint at half-time.

Another way of looking at it is that ALL FIVE of the Browns’ offensive linemen will probably be at least the size and caliber of the best guy on the Alabama line. And on the other side of the ball, ALL SEVEN of the linemen/linebackers will be as good or better than the best guys in those positions on the Alabama team.

Chances are, they’ll probably be better (more experienced in a better league, and better coached), and probably stronger/faster as well.

I THINK college baseball teams may have beaten Major League teams in Spring Training. Baseballs a different animal, no way that happens in a 7 game series.

Late to the game but:
An NFL team would destroy Alabama, it would not be competitive.

Even if we took the current Alabama roster and put them in a time chamber to give the 18-22 year olds five years of weight lifting, body maturing, practice time… they’d still get beat because as others have pointed out, the vast majority of the team will never be good enough to play in the NFL anyway.