The Oakland Raiders.

IANAF, and I don’t know the game. This is a serious question.
Is there a college team that could, on a good day anyway, beat Oakland?
They just lost another game. It was on tv in the other room.
So, has this ever been done? Could the best in college ever beat the worst in pro football? A lot of the screw-ups made my the losing team don’t seen to be due to the skills of the winning team. IMO.
Peace,
mangeorge, who played and enjoyed intramural football. It was fun.

The best college team would be slaughtered by the worst NFL team. It would be ugly.

oakland shows promise at times. today was not one of them.

Even the worse NFL player is far better than almost any college player. No numbers at hand but few college players are drafted and only a few of those manage to have any career.

Agreed. The crappiest NFL team would probably score 70 points and shut out most college offenses. While some college players are very good, even NFL ready, there are going to be at least 8 players that are going to get severely dominated on every play. NFL pass rushes would pretty much bulldoze 3 of the 5 lineman every play blowing up most plays before they began.

It sure doesn’t look that way to the casual viewer (me) who only sees snippets of a game like today’s.
An aside; Don’t the announcers often state the name of the college that the pros went to?
Like I said, I know little of the game. :slight_smile:

You were seeing pro vs. pro, even a very small deficiency in skill is the difference between “hero and zero”.

Think about it this way, a good college sprinter looks fast until you match him up to a world class sprinter.

I think runner pat overstates things a little bit. There are a lot of players in college that could compete with NFL players. Many of the 250 or so players drafted every year step in and play right away with NFL teams, some even excelling and the vast majority holding their own in practices. The reason lots of rookies take a few years usually has to do with learning the system more than developing skills or physicality. That said, there are 11 guys on the field for a team at any time and even the most loaded college teams would be very lucky to have 5 guys that are on the NFL caliber. So, while they might have a handful of guys that are on par with a pro, the other 6-10 guys are going to get pushed around like children. And on any given play it only takes one guy making a mistake to lead to a catastrophic failure.

Chicago College All-Star Game - Wikipedia For many years the NFL best team played a team of college all stars. The all stars did win but rarely. They had more talent than any one college team but gave up the team unity and team training. It stopped in the early 70s.

You could put together a credible NFL team using only college players, perhaps - and by credible, I mean they’d win one or two games.

But no organic college team would ever beat an NFL team. In the NFL, even the worst players were scholarship athletes in college, while college football teams all have a couple of dozen walk-on players.

Remember, the shitty Oakland Raiders have last year’s best college running back*, the previous year’s best college quarterback and second-best tight end, the previous year’s best safety, and so on ad nauseam, and still aren’t competitive.

*not named Kevin Smith :wink:

You might be able to get a college team to get in the ballpark of NFL skill at positions like running back and wide receiver, but there’s no college that could field a credible O-line and D-line to compete with NFL teams. So to someone who focused more on QBs, WRs, etc. it may seem as though the college team would have a chance, but the NFL lineman on both sides would so completely dominate that the QB/WR/RB/etc would be nearly irrelevant.

Oakland would demolish the best college team without trying.

Danny Wuerffel was a stellar college quarterback and played for one of the best teams in the NCAA. He stunk out every stadium he played in, in the NFL.

The gap between NFL and college talent is ENORMOUS. Danny could tell you about it. When Florida played, say, Vanderbilt, Wuerffel he often had seven or eight seconds to look around for wide open receivers downfield. He NEVER got that kind of time to throw or such wide open receivers in the NFL.

Oklahoma has a damn good team, and Sam Bradford may well be a superb NFL quarterback one day, but if you put the Sooners against the Raiders (or the Detroit Lions or Cincy Bengals), Bradford would get creamed on every play. He’d have no idea how to read the defenses he’d be seeing. Once he’s drafted, he’ll need a few years to learn the skills to be a pro quarterback.

Better example - every single Florida wideout turned out to be a bust in the NFL. Actually, looking back on those days, it kinda looks like Spurrier did amazing things with very poor talent. He turned out exactly one NFL-caliber running back (Fred Taylor), and no good wideouts or quarterbacks.

He may have more yardage than Mr. Fucking Smith.

Yeah, yeah. It’s not looking good- although I still maintain that he’ll be the best pro of the lot.