Could Dopers tell me their thoughts on Pink Floyd?

A very dear friend, upon hearing that I’d never heard any of their music, bought for me and sent me a copy of their album The Wall. (Thanks a bunch - you know who you are.)

Anyway, I’ve been listening and when I have time, reading some of the stuff about them online. But I would love to hear what Dopers think/thought of them, any opinions or comments. Anything at all, really.

Anybody?

They’re one of my favorite groups. They’ve always had a fairly high level of musical ability, and have been way ahead of the pack on using synthesized instruments. Wish You Were Here is one of my top five favorite albums.

*Wish You Were Here * and *Dark Side of the Moon * are two must-haves in any record collection. *Dark Side * is more accessible as an album, but I find myself listening to *Wish You Were Here * more than almost anything else.

No matter what anybody tells you, they did not synchonize Dark Side of the Moon with the movie The Wizard of Oz.

Great music, no doubt.

Oh by the way, which one’s Pink?

JohnT, actually I had read that on Snopes a couple of years ago, so I did know that. You have to start both at some weird time, or else it doesn’t work. And only somethings fit so it’s quite coincidental.
Didn’t Cecil cover it also?

Never heard of 'em. :smiley:

They are not a group that I listen to if I can possibly help it. I class them as button-pushers: if one of their songs comes on the radio, push the button and change channels.

Start here, the Wikipedia write-up on Floyd.

Learn about all the different era’s: Syd Barrett led years ('65-'68), Post-Barrett ('68-'70), Breakthrough era ('71-'75), Roger Waters led era ('76-'85), David Gilmour led era ('85-?).

Watch Pink Floyd’s Live 8 reunion performance for free.

Then go out and buy Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd.

And BAM! You’re a fan for life!

:smiley:

Pretentious progressive clap-trap.

I own every CD. :smiley:

“musical alchemy”

Personally I think they topped out at The Wall. If you’re a mellow sort you’re safe with anything Post-Barrett (More, Obscured by Clouds, Animals, Dark Side). Barrett was a bit of an acid boy. The music is still terriffic, especially considering when they were doing it. But it’s … out there.

I got Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here in ninth grade. I stopped liking the band pretty quickly, though. (Ninth grade was actually quite a turning point/transitional time in my music listening phase.) I think the band’s dull and pretentious, and … well … I just don’t like it.

That said, I love Syd Barrett, so by extension I like the early singles (“Arnold Layne,” “See Emily Play”) and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. So I think that for a few years there, at least, Pink Floyd were doing something right. :slight_smile:

Love 'em. Something I have noticed though (and I am sure this will be contradicted by some of the above posters stating their sex) is that women hate Pink Floyd. Every girlfriend I have ever had. Every female friend. The best response is “meh” and it goes down from there… very far down. In fact I have taken to asking as many women as I can about this and it seems almost universal.

I’ve only heard The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. The Wall is excellent. Dark Side though never seemed to go much of anywhere.

Pink Floyd was probably one of the most influential bands of the late 60s/early 70s, and when they were good, they were really good. They were never as good as the fanboys would tell you, but who is?

My stepdad is always quick to point out that all their stuff kinda sounds the same, and he’s definitely not entirely wrong, but that’s kind of the point of psychedelia. If you like The Wall, you’ll probably also like a lot of their other stuff.

I’m female. I’ll let you know in a couple of days, after I play it at home, ouder.

Me too. And the Mobile Fidelity remasters. And all the vinyl, stereo and mono, and singles. With picture sleeves!

Pink Floyd is great. “Wish you were here” is my favorite by them.
Other Great Albums by Floyd
Echoes (it is very far out man)
Animals
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Umma Gumma is extremely psychedelic and excellent to listen to in a dark room with maybe a color organ or a good Windows Media visualization
If any friends have Pipers at the gates of dawn, borrow it, you may not like it, I do. Very early Syd Barret Floyd.
Atom Hearts Mother (same at Pipers, try to borrow)

Rest are all Good except the Final Cut is the worst.

My wife likes Floyd but in small doses. She can’t stand Yes at all. She hates if I queue up several hours worth of Floyd, Yes & Zep.
My Sisters both like listening to a Floyd.

I like the Syd Barrett stuff, and the rest is ok. I’m not a huge fan, but I like more than a few of their songs.