Could meteorites have a terrestrial origin?

Could the meteorites that are purported to show indications of life be rock from the earth itself? Could they have been ejected by the force of a large object striking the earth’s surface? And would they still technically be ‘meterorites’, or would there be some other more precise term to describe them?

Well you get moon rock meteorites, and the moon is thought to be just a big chunk of the earth broken off in it’s early days after a huge collision. But I guess that’s a rubbish technicality.

But if we accept that the moon was formed in this way then the bits that flew off from that impact must still have a chance of being captured in an orbit that might eventually take them back to Earth. All this would have been pre-life though so wouldn’t be the meteorites you’re thinking off.

As far as I know, there is no credible evidence of life forms leaving signs in meteorites. The latest fuss is about a paper that was published without pre-publication peer review on a web site of questionable objectivity. I haven’t read the paper, but it has been widely discredited. I did read the paper about the famous martian meteorite. That was never convincing and, to my mind, was thoroughly debunked at the NASA press conference by the one scientist on the panel who was there to provide balance.

I’d love it if there was some real evidence, but so far the “evidence” appears to be wishful thinking. Claims of this magnitude need powerful evidence.

As far as the OP in general (as opposed to the specific rocks in question) goes, yes it could happen. Because of the greater gravity of the Earth compared to Mars and the Moon, it’s not as likely that a rock will be blasted off by an impact, but it’s not out of the question. And the most likely places such rocks will land is either back on Earth or on the Moon.

An analysis of the isotope ratios will show the origin of the rock, especially if it’s from the Earth.

They actually have meteorites of earth origins. They’re called Tektites.

When a meteor hits a planet, pieces from the impact can travel far and wide. We actually have more moon rocks that are meteorites than we got from the moon during the Apollo landings. And, we’ve even found meteorites fromMartian origins too.