Could sodium hydroxide permanently destroy human tastebuds?

:stuck_out_tongue:

That’s one of the craziest things I’ve read on this board, and it’s saying something :eek:

I dunno, it’s kind of a tie between this and the dude who wanted to cut his balls off as a form of birth control. (Although it certainly beats the guy who bleached his teeth with Clorox)

We should collect them. I’m looking for the thread I mentioned up above - Someone posted about a friend who had a plan to cure himself of eye floaters by boiling the fluids in his own eyes using bits hacked out of a microwave oven.

:eek: No freakin’ way!

One time I tried one of those zinc-based cold lozenges, and it totally killed my ability to taste sweetness for several hours. It was bizarre – chocolate milk and ice cream and orange juice and candy all tasted horribly bitter and sour. Fortunately the taste returned to normal after a while, but it was very disconcerting. Later I read about how zinc cold treatments (the nasal gel, at least) can cause permanent loss of the sense of smell, so I guess it wasn’t as bad as it might have been…

Yep, although I think the thread must have been deleted (which if correct may mean that the OP of said thread was not sincere in their description of a friend who earnestly intended to boil his own eyes)

I lost some sensations of taste after a bit of dental work once (one of those sessions where the pain was so bad that the dentist had to keep pumping in more anaesthetic - I guess nerves are nerves - and so it must have hit the nerves connecting my tongue to my brain.
I only lost some of the basic taste sensations - I can’t recall the exact details, but I think it was diminished ability to taste salt for a week or so.

This falls under one of those, “don’t try this at home” situations. Your friend needs out-patient counseling.

I think your friend would also need to pack his nasal passages with drano, and also remove the roof of his mouth, taste is complicated:D

I kid, do not suggest that to him because i think he might be willing to try it

You seem to view this as a bit of an eccentricity, it’s not, it’s delusional and psychotic self harming behavior. Your “smart” buddy needs a mental evaluation ASAP.

It might still be available, if you do a google search and there’s a cached version. (I hate it when the mods delete the wacko threads like that. I imagine if JTT was around today, his threads would all have been disappeared.)

WOW! How did I miss the Clorox guy.

Weird too, because my estranged father tried the same thing and I thought who the hell would be crazy enough to try this! Apparently, he’s not alone, and yes, he is actually crazy among other things.