Could this be a disorder or just an annoying habit?

'round here, the sterotype is to add the word ‘hey’ into really odd places.
Do you want to go to the moves? Yeah hey
Mark was sick last night…I know hey
At the moment, I can’t think of any good examples other then those, but the ones who do it manage to work it into every sentence, at least once hey.
There used to be a joke about it. “What did they call the City of Cudahy, before the poeple moved it?..Cuda”

Another one, we had an employee that didn’t fully understand who to use the acronym FYI.
FYI we’re out of bags, would be an example of proper usage. As to what spewed out of her mouth…
FYI How do I get to Morgan St?
FYI Do you know where more bags are?
FYI This lady has a question about the cheese?
FYI Can someone get me some more quarters?
It was so bad, that several years since she’s worked here, and they still make fun of her by using it like that.

A verbal tic? Complete and utter lazy diction and syntax? Extreme passive/aggressive behavior? I don’t know, but it would drive me crazy.

I had a roommate in college (an English major, no less) who started each sentence with, “literally.” “Literally, we’re going to the store.” Except she pronounced it “litrally”.

Very aggravating. She also used to grab a strand of hair and play with it on her face–she’d stroke her upper lip with it, and her cheek. Odd. No idea if the two were “litrally” related…

Damn you for beating me to it an’at.

I’ve heard a lot of people that do that. Its just an annoying habit.

I thinks its just a bad habit. I got really annoyed with myself when I realised I was saying "or somethin’ " on then end of a few sentences.
"I think I’ve got a cold, or somethin’ "
"His name was Gregg, or somethin’ "
What annoyed me about it was, I definitely had a cold and I knew his name was Gregg, other people wouldn’t pick up on it so easily as it could be acceptable that I was unsure.

However I got over it by not being so lazy, and actually thinking about what I was saying, or correcting my self if I did slip up, or somethin’ :wink: .

Oh, my goodness. Would you folks please line up all the people described in this thread? Put 'em in one long line, so I can run by them with by open hand extended and give 'em all a smack upside the head. :mad:

In a lot of London (and Swansea in Wales, for some reason), the phrase is “innit”, meaning “isn’t it?” Except it’s usually used grammatically illogically.

I first heard about this as a joke, then about ten years ago a friend reported her Turkish London landlord came round during the winter and said in all earnestness “It’s snowin’ innit. So you don’t slip, innit, I go get a shovel and clear the drive, innit.” Over the years it spread with the Estuary accent, and now everyone’s saying it.

My friend always replies “Yes, it is”.

“We’re going down the pub, innit.”

• “Yes, it is.”

“What you on about, innit.”

• “Yes, it is.”

I’ve got a friend that throws in the word “actual” at ridiculous times.

I’m going to go to the actual store (as opposed to the pretend one)
I parked in the actual spot.
I ran across the actual street.

I haven’t killed him, yet…

My calculus professor in college ended a lot of explanations with “…and that type of situation”.

I have a few of my own:

I must admit to using “or something” a lot. At least I’m aware of it and I try not to do it too much.

I also use air quotes, but I do use them correctly.

I say “actually” way too much when beginning a sentence. My brother even makes a point of repeating it after I do in a really obnoxious way. He’s 33 years old and still acts like a bratty 8 year old…or something.

“You don’t think she yada yada’d sex??”

My mother in law also does the “y’know” at the end of sentences, at the beginning, in between! Sample: “Y’know, she told me, y’know, that I had to call her back right away, y’know?” Sometimes after I spend too much time with her I catch myself saying it too, and then I have to slap myself.

This thread is fascinating and shit.

I’ve remembered another, really distracting one. A friend of mine from Northern Ireland would finish just about every other sentence with “and all like that there”. How on earth would you not know you were saying that? It’s five entire words and shit.