Could this be a disorder or just an annoying habit?

There is a lady at work that ends almost every sentence with the same two words. “and that”

My sister and I went to the store to shop for shoes, and that. I found a really cute pair of sandals but they had none in my size, so we went to another store, and that. They had some clogs I liked there but it was getting late so we decided to go for lunch, and that. Then my niece wanted to go to fashion bug so we went there and she found a really cute dress, and that.

It is so aggravating when you are chatting with her it is all I can do not to yell out “AND THAT!”

It really is that often, I am not embellishing.

She has worked here for at least five years and she has always had this quirk and for what it is worth I am going to guess her age in her late twenties or early thirties.

Is this just a funky statement that she has picked up and it is now a learned behavior in her speech pattern?

I have heard catch phrases come and go but this is not a new phrase someone heard and is now over using it.

I knew a guy who was a friend of a friend during high school and for aseveral years afterwards that did that except he said “…and junk.”

“Hey we’re heading down to the beach do you want to come and junk.”

“Hey dude I just bought a new car and junk.”

I think it is a sympton of “Stupid Disease” and junk.

It’s “per se” with an acquaintance of mine – not every sentence but an abnormally high percentage, and it’s always apropos of nothin’. “I can’t come over tonight, per se.”

I wonder if her parents didn’t speak English? Maybe she’s of German background? (I’m just guessing about the German thing, it just sounds that way to me.)

“Forget her. She likes the intellectual type.”

“I’m intellectual and stuff.”

“You’re flunking English. It’s your mother tongue, and stuff.”

Anecdote rather than data, but my sister has a habit of repeating phrases at the end of a sentence, even when it doesn’t make sense; she might say the given phrase in each sentence in a conversation, or nearly all. “And things like that” is a common one. She has a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder that includes behaviors like the need to count syllables or words in a sentence, and certain multiples are better than others. I suspect that her repetition of phrases may be another symptom, or maybe a way for her to add a certain number of words or syllables to make that sentence “better” for her.

My soon-to-be ex wife ends virtually every sentence with, " you know. " More accurately, " y’know". It is sprinkled throughout her syntax.

It is indicative of god only knows what. All I know is that I cannot WAIT for the day when I get to hear it less and less…and less.

Cartooniverse

I know a woman who does that. mid-60s, southern Ontario. I thought maybe it was a regional thing (she comes from a very small region) but I guess not.

Just a verbal tic, IMO. We’ve all got 'em. Usually they’re temporary, and too often contagious.

It’s just an annoyance. One of my colleagues had a student who ended every sentence with “and whatnot.”

Is she any relation to my Uncle Herb? The older he gets, the more pronounced it gets. It goes in any time there’s a pause.

My youngest son came back from the army ending any explainations with “you know what I mean?”, but it wasn’t every sentence and after about a year of mocking, we broke him of the habit. He tended to do it whenever he wanted and ‘uh-huh’ from us in the conversation.

SUN, you have my sympathy for having to work with a stream of ‘and that.’

Yeesh. A former cow-orker used to end every single sentence with the most obnoxiously delivered, “or something!”. It didn’t even always make sense, but he just had to add it on to the end of his sentences.

Cow-orker: “Geez, that guy was so crabby he had a poker up his ass, or something!”

Or,

“We’re supposed to have these done by five? That’s like, impossible, or something!”

GAAAH!

I considered commenting at the going-away party my really cool boss threw for me how relieved I would be never to have to hear cow-orker say, “or something!” again, but thought better of it. :slight_smile:

I guess an ingrained speech pattern.

I operate on the assumption that this is the reason the in-laws always refer to DH and me as “DH and them.”

Or I’ve grown a second head that only they can see.

My husband has an uncle that says ‘hell’ after every statement. He has a strong Southern accent, and he sort of says the “hell” part as a quiet complaint. I mean, he always says it as if he is unhappy about something, even if it is mundane stuff, which it usually is.

“Shut that door…hell.”
“Go tell them kids I said it’s time to come in the house…hell”
“I’m flat broke…hell”
“pass me them there peas, hell”

Is this woman from Pittsburgh, by any chance 'n 'at?

Substitute the words “right there” for “and that” and you have one of my former clients. You can barely focus on the conversation for waiting for the next interjection.

Not that I am aware of but her parents might have been. I know her mother is passed and her father is retired fireman but other than that I don’t know if her parents were born in Ohio or not.

She is a really nice person. She does have a grating laugh though and she has the habit of calling other woman “dolly”.

I guess it is just a habit.

I think it’s an unconscious habit. Most people don’t realize they use those phrases, so they have no idea how they sound to others.

Y’know?

ducks and runs

My MIL has an odd (to me) habit. She prefaces everything she says with the word “no” (or “know” - it’s hard to say). So, it’s “No I like rare steaks” and “No the dogs were howling at the mailman”. She’s not contradicting or correcting, and there’s no verbal pause, it’s just a sound that comes out at the front of everything she says. It’s like the “No” is an announcement that she’s about to say something, kinda like Uh or Um.
She also pronounces the word “very” to rhyme with “worry”. Vurry vurry different; I assume it’s a regionalism she picked up somewhere. Er, somewhurr.

Maybe they think you’re a giant ant.

My Auntie peppers every sentence with at least one “No”, which for her is “You know”.
"So, no, that new grocery store, no? I went there yesterday, no. The prices, no, are not so great, no. "

The Kid is a “like” fanatic. Same sentence in The Kid-speak:
“Okay, so, like, yanno that, like, new grocery or like whatever store? Okay, like, we went there, like yesterday. And, like, they were way like expensive”

When she over “likes” I start doing it back at her in ValSpeak. She quits real fast.