Couldn't get this 80s or 90s Reader's Digest joke

I’m confused - what was the kid supposed to write on the eggs? I have never heard of writing on eggs as a ‘thing’ - painting a decoration or drawing a face on them yes, but why write on them?

There must be another meaning of “writing” in this context - probably “decorating.”

Dates.

Thanks, that makes sense. But I actually don’t think writing “hardboiled” on the eggs was a silly idea at all - if they were to go back in the fridge, and fresh eggs were also stored in the fridge, it would make it easy to identify which eggs were required. It would be annoying to start peeling a supposedly hardboiled egg only to discover it was fresh. Just another example of an adult assuming a kid will know something ‘obvious’ - why would they if it had never been explained to them?

When I was a kid we used to use a pencil to write “HB” on them. Hint: don’t use a ballpoint; the ink will penetrate the shell well into the edible part.

Of course once we were tall/coordinated enough to be taught to spin the eggs without them ending up on the floor, writing on them was no longer needed.

I thought the joke was his writing out the whole word on each egg when any mark would have sufficed.

I don’t see why noting the type of pencil used was helpful.

I said HB, not #2. Sheesh, some people! :wink:

If you have to label the Number Two in your fridge, you’ve got bigger problems.

You don’t refrigerate dates.

You write dates on freshly-laid eggs. You write an H, or sometimes maybe an X, on hard-boiled eggs.

I was at my dentist and they were doing some construction in the next room, including drilling holes. I said to the hygienist, “That must really freak out your patients” She said, “That’s nothing. You should see what happens when the use the sledgehammer.”