Cover <somebody's face>

What is the deal with the cover Hilary’s or Obama’s face web sites. Who uses them? Do you buy a link on the page because you like them or because you hate them. I know ultimately it is just a way for the websites owner to get money. But I am wondering about who goes to these web sites.

I have no idea, but whenever I hear the phrase, "cover <someone’s face> I alway think of Tennyson (I think it was Tennyson): “Cover her face; she should have died hereafter”.
I just looked it up. It’s not Tennyson, it’s John Webster and the quote is wrong…

“Cover her face; mine eyes dazzle: she died young.”

Not much help, am I?

I’d never heard of this “cover <someone’s face>” phenomenon until you brought it up…but I have heard of pixel advertising which is what this is.

I can’t really wrap my head around it either…but the Wiki page links to a couple of articles on the subject. Also, here’s the FAQ from the “Hillary Face Ad Place” site which kind of answers your questions.

Hah. Me too. Too much Agatha Christie! (I’ve read the play, too, I’m not totally ignorant.)

It makes no sense. The advertiser’s are playing on overexposure…but they’re the ones that put up X’s face in the first place!

I remember when that million dollar page came out. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. I wish I had thought of it first but I certainly didn’t buy any ad space and I did not go to the page more than once or twice. It was a cool idea because it made the owner a pile of cash for not much work while not really ripping anybody off. It does not seem like an idea that will work the next time. And it looks like there is still plenty of space on the face. I wonder if the people that set it up will make more than minimum wage for the time they put into it.

And the ‘died hereafter’ part is from Shakespeare; it’s a famous line from Macbeth’s last soliloquy.

The sites are a ruse. We’re collecting the names of everybody that goes to them. They will be published on a special “Stupid People” website after the election, along with large warnings to not hire them or let them operate heavy machinery.

It’s remarkably effective.

“We’re”?

And didn’t P.D. James write a mystery called Cover Her Face?

Heh, heh, heh.

From Wallace Stevens:

(note to mods – according to wiki, this is in the public domain)