Cover songs worth a listen

Or possibly Hendrix’s version of “Hey Joe”, allegedly the most covered cover version of any song.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes provide amusingly cliched punk versions of several classics from yesteryear. I particularly like their version of Del Shannon’s “Hats Off To Larry”.

The Copacabana version of “We Have All The Time In The World” on Fun Lovin’ Criminals’ Mimosa album is… ok, not exactly great, but… interesting…

Oh, and FLC’s version of “Shining Star” on the same album is very cool.

Apocalyptica’s Metallica covers are amazing. I especially like their version of “One,” and their “Nothing Else Matters” is, oddly enough, probably the most beautiful piece for a cello quartet I’ve ever heard.

Tori Amos - Smells like teen spirit

I was saying to a friend of mine about how nobody should ever cover Nirvana’s version. He kindly mentioned that Tori Amos has done a cover of it and that it’s awesome. He gave me his version (I have no idea where he got it), I listened to it, and I happen to agree with him. It is probably just as good as the origional; it is decidedly different but just as good.

Johnny Cash – The Mercy Seat (he was born to sing this song, and even though I love Nick Cave dearly, Johnny hit this one out of the park).
The Bad Plus – Smells Like Teen Spirit (jazz quartet, they also have a rockin’ Heart of Glass)
Mingo Saldivar – Rueda de Fuego (Ring of Fire, done all Tejano)
Fiona Apple – Across the Universe (better than the rather sloppy Beatles version, even though I love the Beatles and don’t like Fiona Apple).
Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips – Waiting on a Friend

Are you sure it is him? Jon Wesley Harding did a cover of this song 10-15 years ago and his vocal style is not unlike Elvis Costello’s.

Re: the Cowboy Junkies version of “Sweet Jane”: I understand the man himself (Lou Reed) spoke favorably of their take on his song when it came out.

I’m one who enjoys the ataris’ cover of Boys of Summer.

I also enjoy Yellowcard’s cover of Michelle Branch’s Everywhere.

Billy Stewart’s “Summertime.”

jsgoddess

Oh I second that choice. He did a tremendous rendition of “Summertime”.
(On a sad note, he died in a car crash in 1971 I think it was).

Johnny Cash - Hurt: I’m surprised that no one’s mentioned this one so far. Personally I hate Nine Inch Nails and think Trent Reznor’s an egomaniac and a dandy. But then I heard Cash doing this song and thought to myself, “take him to school, Johnny!” Amazingly powerful and the video just breaks my heart!

Eve’s Plum - Save a Prayer: Yep, it’s the old Duran Duran song, and this version starts off kind of “Mazzy Star-ish” but then starts kickin’ right towards the end. Back when I lived in Atlanta I hung out with serious music snobs and all of them - to a man - loved this version, even though the wouldn’t be caught dead listening to DD otherwise.

Also, props to the poster that mentoned Nina Persson’s The Bluest Eyes in Texas - that’s an awesome cover. Of course, The Cardigans also covered Iron Man and I read somewhere that Ozzy actually liked it!

Xiu Xiu - Asleep (The Smiths)

• Ceremony (Joy Division/New Order)
  • Fast Car (Tracy Chapman)
    Absolutely brilliant.

John Mayer - Kid A (Radiohead)
I was surprised at this. Hearing this cover made me realize just how capable he is.

Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding (Elvis Costello)
Wyatt’s falsetto add a new dimension to this song that Costello, God bless 'im, just couldn’t provide.

Oh and William Shatner - Rocket Man (Elton John)
Priceless. In some twisted kind of way, I actually like it. And the Family Guy re-enactment was gold.

the Dickies are the ultimate cover band. The clown princes of punk.

Rousing renditions of:
Knights in White Satin
Communication Breakdown
Paranoid
She (by the Monkees)
Sound of Silence (Leonard quipped that Paul Simon taught them the song after a homosexually erotic game of "mousetrap’)
Eve of Destruction
The Bananna Splits theme
Town without Pity
Hair

My favorite remake was Bill Withers’ Ain’t No Sunshine by Sileas. I sniffle everytime I hear it.

I like the soundtrack to “50 First Dates”…a lot of classic 80’s tunes done reggae style. I expecially like The Cars’ “Drive” done by Ziggy Marley.

Saturday Morning. Punky bands covering mostly old cartoon themes. My favorites areThe Butthole Surfers doing Underdog and Helmet doing Gigantor. Oh and the Reverend Horton Heat’s Johnny Quest/Stop That Pigeon is also great.

Thanks, folks!

Looks like I have quite a list of songs to explore before I start burning a few disks for use in the car. I find that homemade compilations are often better accompaniments to a road trip than either radio or complete albums.

I’m with Khadaji: Holly Cole makes the sun rise.

And with Shoeless: anything from 1000 Years of Popular Music from Richard Thompson is amazing.

I’ve alwaya liked Elton John’s Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds…and Joe Cocker sets the standard for covers.

Rufus Wainwright did lovely covers of Across the Universe and Hallelujah (although they changed the perfect lyrics).

Tori Amos is responsible for several excellent covers, Smells Like Teen Spirit obviously being the most popular.

Punk band Reel Big Fish made a funny cover of A-Ha’s classic “Take on Me”. They also did a nice video, although it’s not like the original.

Concrete Blonde did some excellent covers and a few really heinous ones. Everybody knows their version of, er, “Everybody Knows” (couldn’t resist), and their takes on George Harrison’s “Beware of Darkness,” Dream Syndicate’s “When You Smile” and Tommy James’ “Crystal Blue Persuasion” are excellent. Steer far clear of their “Simple Twist of Fate,” however.

While it remains something of a millstone around their necks, Los Lobos really did a damn fine version of “La Bamba.”

Cat Power’s “Covers Record” has some beautiful stuff on it; her “Sea of Love” is enough to make you weep.

Chicks on Speed’s take on “Give Me Back My Man” has been in my car CD player a lot lately.

And I love the version of “Good Vibrations” from the Langley School Music Project.