Cover songs worth a listen

I’m fond of her version of Losing My Religion.

On the flip side, there’s Voltaire’s version of her Caught a Light Sneeze.

He also does a pretty good version of Bjork’s Bachelorette. The section:

SHOULD sound irredeemably stupid - but Bjork and Voltaire both manage to make it…not. (I think it helps that both are a little bit off the plumb to begin with.)

Out of Your Mouth does a pretty damn good version of Madonna’s Music. (Listing to which prompted me to post to this thread.)

[QUOTE=Laughing Lagomorph]
Are you sure it is him? Jon Wesley Harding did a cover of this song 10-15 years ago and his vocal style is not unlike Elvis Costello’s. QUOTE]

You know, it probably is Harding. I heard the song a couple of times down in L.A. but never heard who actually did it. I just figured from the vocals that it was Costello. I even checked in with the office Costello nut and she wasn’t familiar with it either. Thanks for the tip.

Arrghhh…Damn you Quote Tags…Damn you to HEEEELLLLLL…

And her cover of Fields of Gold <shiver>

I usually hate covers of Beatles songs, but The Brothers Johnson did a really creative cover of “Come Together”.

Dave Edmunds’ version of “The Promised Land” sounds more like Chuck Berry than Chuck’s version, which I found to be severely lacking in comparison.

Andy Kim’s cover of The Ronettes’ “Be My Baby” is a lot better than the original, IMO.

Barbra Streisand’s cover of “Since I Fell For You” is better than anybody’s.

Rod Stewart’s cover of “Reason To Believe” is better than anybody’s, too. His version of “(I Know) I’m Losing You” is a radical departure from Motown, but it works very well.

Rick Derringer is now a jazz musician (or at least he plays in a Wes Montgomery style nowadays). He did an album of covers of his old songs, rearranged in Lite Jazz or Funk Lite or some such description, a couple of years back. The versions of “Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo” and “Frankenstein (Smooth Frank)” on it are fairly awesome. If you find the album, please skip over “Free Ride”, though, or you’ll want to wash your brain in bleach, and even that won’t help!

You can’t always get what you want by Luther Allison
Rockin’ Pnemonia by Phoebe Snow

Sinead O’Conner does a rather sweet version of Elton John’s Sacrifice
REM doing U2’s One isn’t all that different from the original, but still nice enough to make my playlist.
Holly McNarland’s cover of * In The Air Tonight* is pretty good.

Of all the Tori Amos covers I’ve heard, I think I’m Not In Love is the best.

And, though not quite a cover, Chris Cornell of Soundgarden sings the most beautiful Ave Maria I’ve ever heard.

(on preview: would have seemed a more interesting list if I’d left that “playslit” typo in, I imagine…)

Well, if it is Harding his version is available on this album:

And also this compilation album:

Some of these have already been mentioned, but what the hell…

I Am The Walrus (The Beatles) by The Pop-O-Pies
Computer Age (Neil Young) by Sonic Youth
California Uber Alles (Dead Kennedys) by The Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy
Shot Down (The Sonics) by The Cynics
Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones) by Devo
Paranoid (The Beatles) by The Dickies
Naked (Moby Grape) by Cat Power
Goo Goo Muck (Ronnie Cook and the Gaylads) by The Cramps
Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush) by The White Flag

Re: Whiskey in the Jar

Me too.

Other favorite covers:

The Pogues “Honky Tonk Women” (Rolling Stones)
The Sundays “Wild Horses” (Stones)
Me First & the Gimme Gimmes “Rocket Man” (Elton John)
Me First & the Gimme Gimmes “Danny’s Song” (Loggins & Messina)
The Cardigans “Iron Man” (Black Sabbath)

Angels of Venice does a harp-based cover of “Nothing Else Matters” which I quite enjoy. In fact, you can listen to it (in its entirety, no less!) at the AoV website (click on “Discography” and scroll down to the second album).

I also like The Cure’s cover of “Purple Haze”.

Me First & the Gimme Gimmes cover I like is their version of the Muppet’s Rainbow Connection

Besides Stewie’s rendition of Rocket Man, I’d have to say:

Easy - Faith No More

You Showed Me - Lightning Seeds

Nothing’s Gonna Change My World - Fiona Apple (damn she makes that sultry)

Summer Breeze - Type O Negative

Cars - Fear Factory

All of Miscelaneous Debris - Primus

Of course, anything off of In a Metal Mood - Pat Boone

Beatallica IMO does the best parodies next to Weird AL, that’s almost like a cover.

Oh, one I didn’t think of earlier - The Cruxshadows’ version of Happy Xmas (War is Over). I actually prefer it to Lennon’s.

(The mention of Angels of Venice brought them to mind…I was introduced to both bands by the same CD.)

Joan Osborne did a cover of Son of a Preacher Man that knocked my socks off.

I respectfully disagree. That title belongs to Aretha’s R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

These ones spring to mind, though so many more are on the tip of my tongue…

Ben Folds - Tiny Dancer (available on Ben Folds Live)

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Grace)

George - Under The Milky Way (haven’t seen/heard a hard copy)

It’s back a page now, but I need to correct myself… it was of course, Black Sabbath who did the orginal version of Paranoid… and not the Beatles. :smack:

Carry on.

I Am The Walrus (The Beatles) by Oingo Boingo
Whipping Post (Allman Brothers) by Frank Zappa
Ring Of Fire (Johnny Cash?) by Frank Zappa
Black Dog (Led Zeppelin) by Tony Levin Band
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) by California Guitar Trio

I just remembered another good one.

Tears for Fears’ “Mad World”, remade for the Donnie Darko soundtrack by Michael Andrews.

I just heard a great cover of a Beatles song! “Help” by John Farnham.