Covers of songs that were better than the original?

Prince’s version of “Kiss” sucked (IMHO), but the version by Art of Noise with Tom Jones rocked!

Most any cover done by the Ramones is better than the original (provided you like their style).
And “Soul Man” & “Sweet Home Chicago”, done by the Blues Brothers.

The Barenaked Ladies did a cover of Bruce Cockburn’s “Lovers in a Dangerous Time” that was so much better than the original, I’ve actually met people who think the BNL version IS the original.

Tears of a Clown - English Beat
Police and Thieves - Clash
THis One’s For You - Teddy Pendergrass
Morning Dew, Me and My Uncle, Sugaree, When I Paint My Masterpeice - Grateful Dead

the afghan whigs did a nearly unrecognizable (until the chorus) version of tlc’s “creep” that was damn good. they did a nice cover of the ass ponies’ “mr superlove” that was better than the original as well.

The Pixies version of Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Head On” was much better. I also like the Ass Ponies version of “You shook me all night long”.

Urge Overkill’s “Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon” (orig by Neil Diamond)

Kim Carnes’ “Bette Davis Eyes” (orig by Jackie DeShannon)

“I will survive” by Cake is waaaay better than Gloria Gainers (sp?) and I even like the original…

Husker Du’s cover of the Mary Tyler Moorse show theme song rocked.

cake is the epitome of suck.

if i saw them on the street (and actually knew what they looked like), i’d beat their collective ass.

Sid Vicious, “My Way”. The most teeth-grindingly preening, posturing, narcissistic song of all time - until Sid did it His Way. Runner-up? “Dya Think Im Sexy?”, by the Revolting Cocks.

(Hit Me Baby) One More Time by Travis

Wuthering Heights by China Drum

Always On My Mind by the Pet Shop Boys

Suicide Is Painless by the Manic Street Preachers

Down Down by Cud

Legend of Xanadu by The Fall

“Lay Down” by Mott The Hoople, so much better than Melanie’s version.

while it doesn’t top it, frente’s bizarre love triange is as good as new order’s.

but then again, that’s not really what the op was asking for was it?

so, i’ll contribute u2’s cover of happiness is a warm gun. maybe it’s because i’m not much of a beatle’s fan, but i rekken u2’s is brilliant.

All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix (even Dylan admitted it)

Heigh Ho by Tom Waits

Jersey Girl by Bruce Springsteen (to most ears, though I like Tom’s original)

Wall of Death by R.E.M. (the whole Beat the Retreat tribute album is great, but this one really stands out)

Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood by Elvis Costello

Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) by They Might Be Giants (particularly the live version from Severe Tire Damage)

Time Won’t Let Me by The Smithereens

Withered and Died by Elvis Costello

Every single song on Saturday Morning: Cartoons’ Greatest Hits except for the excrable “Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy”, which is unlistenable.

And the greatest cover song of all time: Like a Rolling Pin by The Replacements

aaagh! ignore the superfluous apostrophes in the above post. i’m doing that way too much tonite.

All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix (even Dylan admitted it)

Heigh Ho by Tom Waits

Jersey Girl by Bruce Springsteen (to most ears, though I like Tom’s original)

Wall of Death by R.E.M. (the whole Beat the Retreat tribute album is great, but this one really stands out)

Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood by Elvis Costello

Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) by They Might Be Giants (particularly the live version from Severe Tire Damage)

Time Won’t Let Me by The Smithereens

Withered and Died by Elvis Costello

Every single song on Saturday Morning: Cartoons’ Greatest Hits except for the excrable “Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy”, which is unlistenable.

And the greatest cover song of all time: Like a Rolling Pin by The Replacements

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again:

Eva Cassidy.

that’s all.

But with me, it’s the version I heard first that always comes down as the “better version”. Even with artists who remake their own stuff, it’s chronologically tied to the point in my life I heard it…first in, first choice. The only recent exception being Smooth Criminal, by AAF, and that’s cuz I forgot MJ (who I can’t stand) did it first

The first person to say that the Dave Matthews Band cover of Long Black Veil is better than Lefty Frizzell’s version gets a foot up his or her rump.

My votes:

Patsy Cline’s Crazy (Willie Nelson original)

Janis Joplin’s Me and Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson original)

Both Johnny Cash’s and Willie Nelson’s takes on Sunday Morning Coming Down (Also a Kristofferson number–the man is a great songwriter, but his voice. Ugh)

Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson’s Pancho and Lefty (Townes van Zandt original)

And the pick likely to generate the most controversy:
Anything on the Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot album. Lightfoot is OK and all, but Tony just brings these songs to life for me.