Covers of songs that were better than the original?

originally posted by Dragon Phoenix:

Song to the Siren is by Tim Buckley, not Jeff. I like the cover, but the original is one of my favorite songs.

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Tim Buckley - Dolphins (Fred Neil)
Big Star - Femme Fatale (Velvet Underground)
Cat Power - Psychic Hearts (Thurston Moore)
Cat Power - I Found A Reason (Velvet Underground)
Rasputina - Brand New Key (Melanie)
Nirvana - Lake of Fire (Meat Puppets)
The Breeders - So Sad About Us (The Who)

Doh - I always confuse those two.

And I can’t believe I forgot to list the MMEB covers of Springsteen.

Jimmy Buffett’s cover of “Brown Eyed Girl” has a lot more kick than Van Morrison’s original version.

Damn, how could I forget that one? Good choice.

Um, That would be Steve Winwood .

My choice would be Bob Seger’ s cover of the Chuck Berry song “C’est La Vie”.

Nope. Wonder : Higher Ground :: Winwood : Higher Love.

The Strangler’s version of “Walk on By.”

Edie Brickell did a cover of Bob Dylan’s “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall” that gives me chills. It’s on the Born On the Fourth of July soundtrack.

Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower” and “Like a Rolling Stone” both done by Jimi Hendrix. To be honest, just about any Dylan song covered by someone else is better than the original.

Otis Redding’s “Respect” as done by Aretha Franklin

Carole King’s “Natural Woman”, again as done by the Queen of Soul

Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On?”, as done by Les McCann on Live on Montreaux. Actually, I like both versions pretty well, but Marvin did his in a studio with umpteen musicians and back-up singers behind him, and Les did a very soulful version live, accompanied only by a drummer, a percussionist, and a bassist

“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” I assume most of you are familiar with Diana Ross & the Supremes’ version, but Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell did it much better.

“Heard It Through the Grapevine” This song was recorded first by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles and Gladys Knight & the Pips, but Marvin Gaye did the best version. However, I must admit I also like Creedence Clearwater Revival’s cover.

the Kinks’ “Stop Your Sobbing” as done by the Pretenders.

“My Favorite Things” by the John Coltrane Quartet

I second Baby One More Time (Travis). Though, if this is a simple ratio we’re doing (quality of cover divided by quality of original), then that’s not much of an accomplishment, because I friggin’ hate the original.

Also, I nominate Satisfaction (I Can’t Get No) by Devo. I’m rather surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

I’d have to go with a few of my own here.

Tina Turner’s version of “The Bitch is Back” is better than Elton John’s original. (But don’t get me started on her abomination that is CCR’s “Proud Mary.”)

Speaking of CCR, their version of “Heard it Through the Grapevine” is superior to Otis Redding’s. (And don’t get me started on Otis Redding’s cover of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” by the Stones.)

I’m also partial to the Leon Redbone version of “Seduced,” although I’d wager that nobody’s heard of either artist or song.

<8)))><

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by G.B.H. Hornswoggler *
Every single song on Saturday Morning: Cartoons’ Greatest Hits except for the excrable “Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy”, which is unlistenable.
QUOTE]

I love Happy, Happy. Joy, Joy. The Archies version of Sugar, Sugar is many fold better. And I liked Let The Sun Shine In much better when Pebbles and Bam Bam did it because when the sang it, I didn’t understand the words.

The Pointer Sisters Fire is better than Bruce’s.

The Kingsmen’s version of ** Louie Louie** is pretty much the definitive version, even though it’s not the original.

I prefer the Save Ferris version of Come on, Eileen to Dexy’s Midnight Runners, which shouldn’t be demographically possible since I graduated high school in 1983.

Personally, I dig Laika & The Cosmonauts’ rendition of Dizzy Gillespie’s A Night in Tunisia. Bebop jazz redone as Finnish Surf music.

George Michael’s version of Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me is awesome…up until the point it becomes a duet with Elton. I wish Michael had finished the thing by himself.

Sting’s version of Come Down in Time is marvelous.

Eva Cassidy’s version of Fields of Gold equals Sting’s original. And that’s saying something cause I love Sting.

Then there’s Luther Vandross singing Whitney Houston’s All the Man(Woman) I Need.

Somewhat related, I’ve never heard anyone surpass an original Simon & Garfunkel tune. Others have tried…and failed miserably.

This Moral Coil–Song to the Siren(Tim Buckley). I’d say equals though since both versions are very beautiful.

Circling Overland–VNV Nation(Front 242). The original is neat, but VNV Nation makes it even more powerful…

OK, this has my vote for coolest concept. I may have to hunt this version down (if there’s a domestic North American release, that is).

The Goodbye Look

I liked Mel Torme’s cover (with the Marty Paitch Dektette) better than Donald Fagan’s original.

Manfred Mann covering Springsteen’s For You I like Springsteen’s too, but Mann really nailed this one. I also like Mann’s cover of Blinded by the Light a lot, but Springsteen’s is more enjoyable and less dogmatic.

I bet no one here has heard my favorites:

I Want You Back - The Waiting (Jackson 5)

Say a Little Prayer - Gene (Aretha)

Free Ride - Audio Adrenaline

I’ll second Superman by R.E.M and definitely Because the Night by 10,000 Maniacs.

Oh, and there’s a few good’ns on the I Shot Andy Warhol soundtrack, but it’s too late for my to crank my brain up and remember 'em.

T’wasn’t Phish. It made the Napster rounds labeled as Phish for some reason, but it was actually performed by the Gourds. I am a major Phish geek, and I can assure you that they’ve never performed the song (at least in public).

That would be the Four Lads.

Bite thy tongue, infidel. Manfred Mann’s version of “Blinded by the Light” is an abomination. (What’s with that “Chopsticks” bullshit?)

Dr. J