Covid vaccine for cancer survivor

I know the “real” answer is that it needs to be discussed with the doctor, but what is the opinion here?

An 18 year old who had cancer as a 3 year old but has been cancer free for 12 years. Is there a reason she should not get the vaccine? She has had no health issues since then and seems in overall good health.

Is “had cancer over a decade ago” a valid reason to not get the vaccine?

I can’t imagine a doctor would tell such a person not to get the vaccine. Well, I can, because if you look hard enough, you can find a doctor to say just about any damn fool thing you want him to. But a non-crackpot MD would almost certainly say get vaxxed.

Cancer survivor here. Everything I’ve read or been sent by my oncologist’s clinic says to get vaccinated.

In Australia the only reasons you might be able to get an exemption from having a vaccine are if you:

• had anaphylaxis after a previous dose of a vaccine
  • had anaphylaxis after a dose of any component of a vaccine
  • are significantly immunocompromised—for live vaccines only
  • have natural immunity—for hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox only.

So for Covid only the first two apply, AND can probably be avoided by using a different vaccine (as happened to my partner). Your person is absolutely fine to get vaccinated against Covid, IMO.

Glad to hear from actual cancer survivors. The opinions here pretty much agree with mine.

I had breast cancer in 2015. Lumpectomy, radiation, no chemo. I didn’t hesitate to get the vaccine. Frankly, it wouldn’t have occurred to me not to get it.

I had papillary thyroid cancer (there are 4 types) in 2015. I had a total thyroidectomy in August of that year and radioactive iodine treatment (RAI) that December.

I had both of my Moderna shots early in 2021 and the booster in November. The only side effects I had were a sore, itchy arm and a mild fever.

I had cancer in 2018. Early in the pandemic, my oncologist called me to say that having had cancer put me more at risk, so I should stay on lockdown, no “bubbles.” After the vaccines became available, he contacted me again to say to get it as soon as the state would let me.

I had colon cancer in 2010 with operation and chemo. I had Pfizers vaccine with booster in 2021, with only normal, mild side effects. It didn’t occur to me that my cancer eleven years before, would mean that I wouldn’t tolerate the vaccine. Why should it? Under the chemo therapy, I was certainly immunocompromised, but not a decade after.

I’m definitely not a doctor. My oncologist said someone with a history of cancer–not just someone currently undergoing cancer treatment–might be at increased risk of severe cases of COVID.

In case my memory was faulty, I googled it:

If you have cancer now or have had it in the past, you have an “underlying medical condition” or “pre-existing condition” that can put you at higher risk for serious problems if you become infected with the new coronavirus.

Your immune system may not be as strong as it was before cancer.

Hope this helps.

Indeed. What would be the issue? I thought it was pretty much settled that it’s safe for basically everyone to get at least one of the available vaccines.

In what case can’t you be vaccinated? I suppose if you are allergic to an ingredient that’s found in every different type of vaccine you shouldn’t be vaxxed. But is there anyone in that condition?

I especially don’t get the confusion about immunocompromised people. I see people concerned about whether their friend with MS should be immunized. Hell yes! They should be first in line!

Or… maybe I’m completely wrong. I don’t think so but I can’t keep track of all the ever-flowing data.

After talking with your doctor, of course, you can get likely get the vaccine even if you are currently being treated for cancer:

Many expert medical groups recommend that most patients with cancer or a history of cancer should get a COVID-19 vaccine. Since the situation for every person is different, it is best to discuss the risks and benefits of getting the COVID-19 vaccine with your cancer doctor, who can advise you.

(Emphasis mine)

From here.

My gf had the same basic situation and her cancer survival was a specific reason to get the vaccine ahead of others her age. (In Pennsylvania)

Same as ThelmaLou, breast cancer lumpectomy, radiation , both shots and booster. I did talk to my oncologist before the booster because I had the two shots early in 2021 and cancer in between.

My mother is going through cancer treatments and will continue to get treatments until they are no longer effective. Her oncologist advised her to get vaccinated months ago.

I figured she should get vaccinated. I couldn’t see how her cancer so long ago would factor in and I don’t have much knowledge of issues post-cancer. This young lady is family on my husband’s side so I haven’t gotten involved.

I do appreciate all of the responses. Especially from those who have survived cancer. I wish you all continued health.

Bladder cancer survivor (and non-doctor) here. Accounts vary*, but I have been told (by my GP surgery) that having had cancer was the reason that the (UK) government classifies me as extremely clinically vulnerable - advised to shield (ie complete isolation) in the early days of the pandemic, and bumped up the vaccination queue. So: prioritized for vaccination, definitely not advised against it.

My bold. I got into a debate with my GP surgery about being told to shield, because I didn’t think there was any reason that I should. I always assumed that it was the cancer treatment (chemo, steroids…) rather than the cancer that was the issue; and as I was an early catch, basically all I had was surgery.

My GP gave me a “To whom it may concern” letter saying that I had no medical issues that required me to shield, so I guess they agreed with me. (The paranoia of the early days was such that I was genuinely concerned about what would happen if the police kept catching me out of the house).

So: fully vaxxed and boosted.

j

* - My medical history is complicated. There were other equally improbable candidates

Same, except guy and prostate cancer

Ditto re prostate. I’m tripled vaxxed.

OP: VAX!!!

I had papillary thyroid cancer with surgery and radioactive iodine back in 2006 and borderline phylloides tumor removed in 2011. Did not hesitate to get fully vaccinated and boosted as soon as available. From what I understand, having had cancer is an additional reason TO GET vaccinated unless there is some other medical condition precluding it, which I think would be pretty rare.