Covid Vaccines in Canada

I am concerned about getting a second dose in a different place. How do I prove I’ve been double vaccinated?

What I got with my FIRST dose was a cheap 8.5x11 paper that looks easily faked.

I don’t think that will be a problem. The Ministry of Health records seem pretty good about tracking everyone. In trying to rebook my second shot to an earlier date, they were aware of my first shot via my health card information.

If you’re referring to the PDF that was emailed to you, sure. I also got a printed receipt off a special thermal printer that is not so easily faked, but neither of those is really “official”. The official proof is in your health record and my understanding is that there are plans to issue some form of electronic “vaccine passport” based on that record. I suppose this is why – at least in my experience – they are so careful about checking your health card several times during the process, and perhaps why only the newer green photo ID health card can be used at the mass vaccination clinics.

As far as I know they’ve been giving priority for second shots to this most at risk : elderly, immunity-compromised, group homes. That prioritization is not the same as stopping second doses.

What I got with my first dose was the same, but it has a sticker on it. The sticker was much the same as the pharmacist might put on a pill bottle: my name, the date, the pharmacy and its address, the kind (Moderna), the dosage, and so on. All that’s missing is the name of the physician who prescribed it, but under the circumstances, that’s not necessary. I’m supposed to bring the paper back when the pharmacy calls me for the second dose, so they can affix another sticker indicating that I’ve had the second dose.

I’d rather have a wallet-sized card, but if this is what it takes to let me go anywhere and do anything, I’ll deal. I can make a photocopy and fold it up so it fits in my passport, for example. Not the best solution, perhaps; but at least it’s a solution.

Your first dose should be recorded in the provincial system. If you go to:

You can fill out the form and download a copy of your previous vaccination. All vaccination sites in Ontario are uploading your record to the provincial COVAX database.

It’s also no surprise that we’re getting a rise in cases, as we essentially came out of lockdown mid May, with pubs and restaurants open to indoor dining, and house parties of six allowed for the first time since the New Year. The important metric now is hospitalisation - a slight uptick so far, but we’re watching nervously.

I am now fully vaccinated! 1st dose Astra, 2nd Pfizer.

Feeling a bit run down, but that may be due to my wife waking up at 4:30 this morning.

Is this a complaint or a humblebrag? :smirk:

Glad to hear you were able to get jab#2.

Definitely a complaint! She went back to sleep until 7, I was wide awake.

I was able to rebook my second Pfizer dose to an earlier date, but it’s only two weeks earlier than the original booking, still not until the end of July. I could have had something this month, but it would have required a bit of a drive. The booking I have is just up the road.

The Ontario booking system at any rate is working well. The confirmation email arrived almost immediately, followed by the automatic cancellation of the previous booking for mid-August.

Congrats!! My first shot was Astrazeneca. My second shot (Pfizer or Moderna) is in 2 weeks. I am so looking forward to it…which is kind of weird given how much I have always hated needles…

Got my second shot today. Double Pfizer for me.

I don’t think this is factually true. Yes, the 2nd shot gives additional protection, especially against variants. But the first actually gives MORE protection than the additional amount from the 2nd. So while individuals may be a slightly more risk, the population as a whole is at less risk. This is why population health decisions may look odd from a single personal viewpoint. Canada’s strategy makes a great deal of sense from a public health viewpoint.

The number of Canadians getting a first dose also gives me great hope about how many we will eventually see be fully immunized; it seems to me that most of the 1st does folks will also go on to get a 2nd, and we are getting millions of new doses weekly, and the systems to get them into arms is functioning very well.

I predict by the end of the summer, Canada is very near the top of countries in terms of fully vaccinated population

New Brunswick just met its goal of 75% of the eligible population with 1 shot yesterday. This triggered the first phase of our reopening plan so that there are no steady contact restrictions and others from Atlantic Canada can enter without quarantine (except NS).

Phase 2 was originally targeted for July 1st with 30% of 65+ with a second dose. We’ve hit that target today and will open up further to allow domestic travel without isolation as long as you have 1 dose and travel from Maine with one dose once it opens federally.

Phase 3 was scheduled for 75% of the eligible population with 2 doses and targeted the beginning of August. We can conceivably hit that by mid July if everyone with 1 dose already gets another. This is when we basically go back to normal with free travel and no restrictions or masks.

So this would be 75% of those 12 years of age and up? What’s the definition of "eligible population in N.B.?

That’s right. 75% of 12+
Here’s a list of our phases and what we can do in each.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/alert-levels/path-to-green.html

The point of vaccinating everyone is make it hard for the virus to propagate through the population and cut R well below 1. Ideally this means the other mechanisms we’ve been using - distancing, hygiene, masks etc. can be relaxed.

The fact that some may still catch it is less relevant than fewer people can transmit it.

Anita Anand, the Federal Procurement Minister just confirmed that we will have sufficient supply for 2 does for 80% of the population delivered by the end of July, so the supply side will not be an issue.

I think 80% is definitely achievable, although I am still arguing with friends of friends on Facebook who think that getting a vaccine interferes with their rights, as does limiting unmasked behaviour and asking about vaccination status. Our natural ceiling should be about 85%, but time will tell.

I’ve been assuming 10% can’t get it and 15% wont get it. 75% of the population with 80/90% immunity means a firewall of 60/67% across the country. That feels tight :worried:

Do you mean “can’t get it” for allergy or other reasons or structurally - language, age, etc. is a barrier?

Ontario is already at 75% of eligible recipients with 1st shots.