Covid Vaccines in Canada

I’m a bit confused by how a discussion of the source of vaccine reluctance in Canada is off topic on a thread about vaccinations in Canada.

It veered into a bunch of talking points about WHO, CDC and how they were all lying for unknown reasons.

Today’s numbers for fully vaccinated in countries above 1 million population:

• United Arab Emirates 69.4% (Up 0.50%)
  • Chile 63.13% (Data not updated)
  • Uruguay 62.46% (up 0.58%)
  • Israel 61.63% (up 0.15%)
  • Qatar 58.85% (up 0.26%)
  • Canada 56.74% (up 0.64%)
  • Hungary 55.96% (up 0.16%)

The push is now on in many provinces to identify people who are genuinely reluctant, or may have difficulties in getting to a clinic. Various surveys have shown that there are only 5 - 10% of the population who are absolutely unswayable about vaccines.

There are also feelers going out about the possibility of restricting certain areas such as indoor concerts, travel, public transport to those who have been fully vaccinated. Yes, getting the vaccine is a choice. But that choice will come with consequences.

And I see that United Kingdom exempts some countries from travel quarantine — but Canada isn't one of them | CBC News , which is especially annoying as the USA is exempt, and I’m not sure what metrics they could use to justify that. Not that they are required to justify their policy decisions, but we’d really like to get back to the UK this year.

They need to open vaxing to personal physicians!

It not as easy to deny science to your Dr as it is with your goofy friends. And the Dr can address every health interaction concern, being intimately familiar with your conditions.

When restrictions lift, patients with conditions are likely going to need to see their Drs anyway.

And, when if sway you, they have it, at hand, ready to jab. I honestly think this has the potential to up the numbers.

I’m fully expecting “passports”. They allow a targeted lockdown to be implemented, instead of broad, indiscriminate shutdowns. So if loading on the health system grows we just keep the unvaccinated/at risk population at home until the health system can deal with their inevitable case loads.

I completely agree. I bet the lady I spoke to who did not want to get vaccinated because she was hoping to get pregnant would get a vaccine if her personal doctor explained that she was putting herself and potential baby at FAR more risk by running around unvaccinated.

People will generally trust medical professionals that they know personally

Michael Matheson, the Scottish transport secretary, cited the success of the vaccine rollout in the U.S. and EU as a reason for the decision.

Which makes no sense whatsoever to exclude Canada, which is by all metrics better than the US in terms of vaccinations.

Someone should point out this article from July 17 to these muppets:

I fully agree with this. I just checked my doc’s web site and they are not planning on getting any vaccine in. It’s a fairly large family practice of a dozen doctors with a diverse patient base (from what I’ve seen in the waiting room) with a large geriatric and Orthodox Jewish crowd. I suspect that a number of the seniors especially would be more inclined to get the shot from their family doctor that they know and trust.

And of course the irony is, this would be a far greater imposition on their “FREEDUMSSSS!!!” than just getting the damn vaccine!

Actually they’re even better than that. The shutdown we’ve largely suffered through has been a Dumb Shutdown, when they shut down everything they can without much discrimination between what must be shut down and what doesn’t. At some point some places went to what one might call the Average IQ Shutdown, where there’s some decision applied; this can open, that to 50%, we’ll shut this place down but not that place. The Genius Shutdown would be really intently applying that sort of distinction.

But your idea takes it completely off that spectrum, because you’re not shutting down places to protect us from the idiots. You’re actually shutting down the idiots. Essentially no shutdown of places needs happen at all. You’re shutting OUT the problem.

And the best part is it WILL encourage antivaxxers to get over their personal problems and join the rest of us in sanity.

Don’t worry, here in Freedomawan Premier Moe is promising never to institute vaccine passports, and yesterday the Health Minister said, “Everybody in Saskatchewan should have access to a vaccine right now. If they choose not to get that, that’s their choice.”

Their efforts to move Saskatchewan out of last place for vaccinations have been just tremendous. So far they’ve sent out one round of mail and put up a few billboards encouraging vaccination. I don’t see how they could possibly have done more.

Just to bring some numbers to the argument that this is an asinine policy:

Case numbers: Canada’s 7 day average per million population today stands at 14.2 cases/day/million population.

In the US, the BEST state is more than DOUBLE THAT NUMBER, and the worst is over 56 times greater.

Vaccination rates: Canada’s rate is currently 56.74% fully vaccinated, 14.37% partly vaccinated for a total of 71.11% Current rate of vaccinations is 0.85/100 people/day.

USA’s rate is currently 48.83% fully vaccinated, 7.76% partly vaccinated for a total of 56.59%. Current rate of vaccinations is 0.18/100 people/day.

Not terrible. Somewhat slow, not at all entirely because of government.

Those US numbers are sobering and offer perspective. I hope we never elect a sociopath to highest office.

Canada has now administered more doses per 100 people - 128.6 - than any other country with a population over 10M. Our pace of vaccination has slowed to under 1/100/day, but that is still 4x the rate in the US.

My mother has rented her usual apartment in Florida and booked flights for just before US Thanksgiving. Hopefully they have things somewhat under control there by the fall but I am less confident that the US can do this as opposed to Canada.

Don’t worry, I’m sure Florida of all states has an exemplary vaccination programme and a competent set of other measures to effectively contain outbreaks.

Let me call Ron DeSantis, I’m sure he will get right on it.

Just like in law, the truth isn’t necessarily an adequate defense.

And if she’s like me who has been vaccinated with AZ, she may have a problem. That was the big push here in Sask this spring “please take the vaccine offered” which was AZ. Now I’m hearing that’s not “recognized” in the US as well as much of EU.