CPU question

Just got a .pps file from a friend via e-mail. How do I open it? (I get an error that there is no program associated with it).

Thanks!

Probably a power point show.

yabob is correct, it is a PowerPoint file. You can download the viewer here.

You were exactly right!!! Once again I am humbled by the speed and accurancy of the Dopers. - Thanks again.

You were exactly right!!! Once again I am humbled by the speed and accurancy of the Dopers. - Thanks again.

CPU? Why is this a CPU question?

Thats kinda my thoughts also… :slight_smile:

Yeah, but I decided to let that pass without comment. You sometimes see members of the general public say “CPU” when they simply mean “computer”. Blame the way ads for consumer electronics stores are written. Not the type of question I was expecting either, but as long as I recognized the extension I answered it.

For the record, the “CPU” (Central Processor Unit) is the processor chip itself, as in pentium, celeron, etc. In earlier usage, it would actually be a COMPONENT of the functions encapsulated on a modern microprocessor chip, but use of the term for the whole chip has become commonplace.

The question WOULD have been better worded as simply “What’s a .pps file?”. “CPU question” leads us to expect some arcana about athlon bus architecture or the like.

I posted too quickly & ‘CPU’ is my shorthand for computer, so that’s what came out. Sorry.