Cracker Jack: Offensive? Racist?

What about Uncle Ben’s Rice, isn’t Uncle Ben a deragatory term for a black person who… Oh wait, that’s a different Uncle…

Nevermind.

:shrinks away sheepishly:

MC$E

Ahem…

Niggapleez!

Thank you

I don’t want or expect Cracker Jack® to do anything about this. I just want some people to notice that the existence of a white boy named Sailor Jack on a product known as Cracker Jack could be interpreted that way. It would be nice if some people found this a little bit interesting, weird, or unsettling. It would be great if there’s someone out there who had actually thought of this before. I do know one person IRL who has come up with this independently. My motives here are basically the same as in this thread, when I noted the eery similarity between the name Chip ‘n’ Dale, which I know from the cartoon about crime-solving chipmunks known as Chip ‘n’ Dale’s Rescue Rangers, and the male strippers known as Chippendales. The only difference is that, in that thread, I also had a factual question about the reason for the similarity of their names.

THANX!!!11

I don’t know, think about all the other things in our lives that are offensively offensive to people:

Getting GAS for your car - clearly meant to offend the flatulently challenged.

The advertising campaign “Got Milk?” - VERY obviously meant to offend mothers who cannot lactate. Or at least the lactose intolerant.

Or how about “Budwieser, the King of Beers” - they plainly mean to offend all queens (drag or otherwise.)

And remember UPS’s old slogan, “The Tightest Ship in the Shipping Business”? OH MAN! We cannot even begin to cover how patently offensive this is to sailors, drunks, delivery personnel and those who drive brown vehicles!

There’s more I’m certain - but that’s all the smart-ass I want to spend on one silly thread.

And what about Cracker Barrel restaurants?

What? Just because the Cracker Barrel logo is a bunch of dead whiteys stuffed into a pickle barrel?

I love starting false rumors about corporations.

If Cracker Barrel’s logo was a picture of white people in a barrel, the same way that Cracker Jack’s logo is a picture of a white person named Jack, then that would be a little unsettling as well. When I first heard of Cracker Barrel, without knowing anything about that expression, the image in my mind was of a big wooden barrel filled with crackers. Plus there was cheese on the side. When I heard about Cracker Jack, without knowing the expression, I didn’t get any image in my head. After seeing a Cracker Jack box, I got the image of sailor jack, the white boy in the blue sailor suit. And that led to trouble.

By the way, I think that Cracker Barrel’s racial problems are of a different form. Take a look at this article: Taking the “Cracker” out of Cracker Barrel.

knock knock - One thing you should consider is that most white people aren’t offended by the word “cracker.” I’ve never even heard someone use it in the derogatory sense. I’ve seen the insult used in print, but never heard it used in real life.

Also, “cracker” has a common non-derogatory meaning. I think most people looking at a food product with “cracker” written on it think of “cracker” the food, not “cracker” the insult.

If you asked me casually to name all the meanings of “cracker” I could come up with, I would say:

Salty good food item
Type of computer hacker
British detective show
Safe cracker

I don’t know if I would even think about the derogatory meaning, unless something had recently brought it to mind.

We could also make the case that:

1. The depiction of a child on the cover is offensive and cruel to children.
  2. The depiction of a dog is cruelty to animals.
    The sailor suit is a slur against the U. S. Navy. And the kid is saluting, which means it’s an attack on naval discipline as well.
  3. And what about crackers? Certainly Sunshine and Premium would object.
  4. The use of the word “Cracker” is a slur on the entire state of Georgia.
  5. And since “Jack” has sexual connotations, we’d better not use that either.
    In other words, let’s clear all printed matter through some politically perfect (not just “correct”) governing board, to ensure that it meets their standards! Who needs the First Amendment anyway? :eek: :mad: :frowning:
    Shades of Fahrenheit 451.
    Haven’t we heard this before? :frowning:

AFAIK, the term Cracker, while maybe in current use by some as a direct slur towards white folk, is more kin to calling someone a redneck, hick, or white trash. Or even hillbilly, except that the “crackers” came from the Georgia plains.

I have called people “crazy cracker.” Being white, I should be able to get away from it. Being a city slicker, it may offend my rural brothers.

As with all of these terms, it’s often more in the way it is said that what is said. In the “Roots” miniseries, the character played by Chuck Connors takes great offense at being called a cracker. On the other hand, I once showed a black friend my sports car and he derided it as a “cracker box.” As soon as it came out of his mouth, he ahemed and switched to “sardine can.” I was laughing.

Honestly, I think you are trying way too hard to find things to be offended about…
unless this is a parody–In which case I say, well done.

I object to the mayor’s blatant slur against the inhabitants of the city of Hastings.