Craig Ferguson's 1,000th show

I missed it but I did pick up Craig’s book, American On Purpose, in hardcover at Barnes & Noble for 50% off plus an additional 10% for being a member. So if you were thinking about getting it but can’t really afford hardcovers, now you can get it for the price of a paperback.

Should I ever get the opportunity to get it signed I just won’t tell him that.

Ha! I pre-ordered American On Purpose from Amazon.com and have already read it – engrossing, amusing, and eye-opening.

I saw that. Then I looked at the top book in the pile. Third edition. Hmm, I thought. I checked the bottom book in the pile. First edition. Grabbed it.

It’s good but his novel is better.

No, but we saw the episode where he got his snake mug, and got all excited and smashed his “Late Late Show” mug right away. That too was awesome.

(And then had to clean up the mess from when he got all carried away with showing off for the pretty actress. :smiley: )

I’m living for the day when one of my emails gets read on air.

ETA: I like his new opening, but I miss the old one that had him skipping along as James Bond in the aperture - for some reason, even after seeing that five hundred times, it still makes me laugh.

(Cause I started watching Craig and forgot to post my edit.)

It’s up on YouTube now!

Can you confirm that there is no canned laughter added?

Can you confirm that there is no canned laughter added?

I’m listening to that Youtube video every day - I’d like to find a copy of that version of the song to purchase, but I don’t know how realistic that is. Jim found the movie version, but it’s not as good, unfortunately.

I’ll second that. There were some funny moments in there with the Aquaman shark, and it was an interesting idea, but a lot of it was no better than a regular episode- that stuff works better in smaller doses.

Actually, YouTube is probably the best place to try and find the show. The CBS player isn’t as good. And, ofttimes you can find clips that are not on the official website, although their legality may be questionable. (But you’d think, if CBS cared, they’d stop it, seeing as they have a deal with YouTube. It’s pretty blatant.)

As long as they cut out the clips to the films and TV shows, CBS seem cool about it.

For a while the unauthorised clips were blocked to US viewers, who had to get them through the CBS channel (whose clips were in turn blocked to foreign viewers), but I think they’ve abandoned that shamozzle.

You skip the monologues?!? Yes, he is good with the guests, but the monologue is the best part of the show. Always funny, and frequently brilliant, it is easily the best thing going right now in late night television.

Definitely. With guests, he sometimes flirts and talks about his tattoos too much. In the monologues, he’s a terrific rambler.

I can’t be 100% certain, but the audience definitely laughed heartily at pretty much everything, so I don’t believe they added any laughter.

Craig is very responsive to the studio audience. In fact, he did this little spontaneous dance bit leading in from commercial, but something went wrong technically, and they had to redo the lead-in. He made some comment about not doing the stupid dance, but we had all loved it so after off-camera encouragement from the audience, he did the dance bit with even more energy on the retake.

For people who’ve never been in the audience at something like that, it’s a little hard to imagine that people really laugh out loud that way. I used to feel the same way. But having been to tapings of several different shows, I’ve found that there’s an energy that builds and makes it really easy to respond audibly. His warm-up guy helped (I can’t remember his name, unfortunately), by keeping up the energy. And they really make you feel like you’re not just an audience – you’re an essential part of the show.

Chunky B. Though he has recently lost a lot of weight, so he’s not so chunky anymore.