Cramps after deep tissue massage?

(Note: I am not asking for medical advice. My wife is seeing both a doctor and a physical therapist. I am merely looking for anecdotes.)

A few weeks ago my wife had really bad cramps in the backs of her legs/butt. She’s a professor and is fairly sedentary, but she does exercise serveral times a week.

She went to our doctor who recommended she see a physical therapist. She’s been going to him for two weeks and he’s been helping her stretch and giving her massages.

Last Monday she went to the therapist and he did a deep tissue massage with ultrasound, which he’d never done before. Early Wednesday morning she woke up with really severe cramps. After a few hours they loosened up and she could move around fairly normally. She called the doctor and the doctor gave her a prescription for muscle relaxants.

Last night she took a muscle relaxant before bed. But again she woke up in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps. Today they’re so bad she really hasn’t been able to get out of bed. Advil helps some, as does heat and gentle massage. She’s been drinking Gatorade and water and eating bananas.

A few questions:

1. Have other people experienced this sort of cramping after an ultrasound massage?

2. Any suggestions on what to do to help her work out the cramps faster?