Crap, my 5 year old just lost his toe in the door.

IAMAD, but I have four kids. Thankfully the worst we’ve had to deal with personally is a toddler’s faceplant that knocked out one tooth and nearly knocked out her two incisors. Not on par with Uncommon Senselet’s experience, but it sucked for us, too.

However, one of my nephew’s lost the end of one of his toes when he pulled a bench over onto his foot at roughly that same age. He’s a strapping 15 year old who is a star hockey player and runs a pretty fast mile. This shouldn’t slow him down a bit.

As for your plants, it’s always tricky to tell just based on photos, but:

PDRM0017 is mulberry.

PDRM0013 looks like boxelder.

As for PDRM0005, do the leaves have a nice smell when you crush them?

Best of luck to the little one, Uncommon Sense.

I used to know a guy (Ed) who blew off one toe when the deer rifle he had resting on his boot discharged. Years later we were rafting the Lower Yough at Ohiopyle and were drinking while rafting (not a good idea in general). We had pulled out for a break, and Ed had taken off his shoes and socks. He was shaking one sock out and someone asked what he was doing. He held up his foot and said one of his toes was knocked off by a rock and he was looking for it. A couple of the guys who had never met Ed before were seriously freaked out.

Best of luck to your son. I hope he finds the positive in his experience.:wink:

Yikes! That’s scary for a parent. He seems to be in a peaceful sleep in that picture. He should be just fine.

And those kitties should help to take his mind off his foot.

…NONE!

Exactly the right toe.

And the last line now reads
And the “This little piggy-er” ran wee wee wee all the way home. Shudder!

So?

How’s the Boy doing?

PDRM0001…the Larch.

When he’s older and trying to meet women he can make stuff up, like he lost recuing a puppy from a strom drain or he lost to forstbite when he was scaling Mt. Everest and had to stay behind to help rescue a fallen climber. Stuff like that.

Poor baby!
He should be all healed up in a couple of weeks, and then he’ll just have a cool story and a weird foot to show off to the other kids- little kids love that stuff.

Don’t animals always pick the most convenient time to give birth? It’s like they have some sort of sense about when you least want them to have their babies, abnd decide to have them right then and there, and probably on someone’s favourite cashmere sweater!

Any chance you’ll keep a kitten? It could be your son’s, as a “reward” for the toe amputation.

Thanks for all the terrific support so far, from everone.

He’s still sleeping, as was I. It was loooong night. I just checked on the kitties too, they’re doing well, momma cat’s a trooper too.

The garbage men woke me up and I checked in on this thread…thanks for the warm thoughts and concern.

As far as his ability to run and stuff when he’s older? It shouldn’t affect him at all, nada. That toe (accoring to the ped) could be removed and you’d adjust.

Now, he has to wait a few days before he can walk on it (pain permitting) and ten days or so before the stitches can come out. I just don’t like the pain part right now, but hopefully the whiskey and the tylenol will help.
The whiskey’s for me.

Report more later or maybe tomorrow after we get through the day.

PS, thanks for the plant ID’s too. That was from a different thread, but I never got an solid answer. I don’t think there is a particular aroma from the leaves, but I could check again.

PDRM 0013 and 0017 are the only two pics I haven’t figured out yet. I think 0017 is Mulberry. Both are extremely fast growers.

0005 is the Kiwi (along with the others below it).

Your son sure sounds like a tough kid! I hope all goes well with the poor little toe.

And the kitties are beautiful! I love mamacat’s expression in the first pic…

Poor little guy. And poor you! Glad to hear he’ll be all right.

And the kitties are adorable!

17 is definitely mulberry. It’s one of the few trees that have different shaped leaves on the same tree, with sassafrass being another.

13 looks like boxelder, which is in the maple family. This link has a good shot of the leaves: http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Boxelder/Boxelder.htm

Look at the branches. Do the leaves grow out from the stems opposite one another, and do the branches grow out opposite from one another on the limbs, or do they alternate? If they are opposite, then it’s most likely boxelder.

If opposite, it possibly could be an ash, though ash trees have more perfectly oval leaves than does the tree in your picture.

Ash leaves here:

http://project.bio.iastate.edu/trees/campustrees/FraxinusAm/FraxAm_leaves.html

If the leaves and twigs and branches alternate, then you’ve something else, probably a hickory.

I wonder if it might possibly grow back? I know that if you’re young enough and you cut the tip of your finger off… as long as it’s not past the first knuckle, it will grow back. A toe shouldn’t be any different should it? My sister grew back the tip of her left middle finger when the tip was pinched off.

And I just re-read and saw it got the knuckle. :confused: Poor little guy. Glad he’s doing fine.

I’m very happy to hear he 's ok, and that your 40 point BP spike did you no harm, but I do have one question… DID YOU FORGET THE NUMBER TO 911??? :rolleyes:
It would have likely turned out the same but, you wouldn’t have had the moment of DIY ER.
Take care. ( :slight_smile: and write the number for 911 next to the phone. 'k?)

I read the first couple of lines and then skipped to the last two paragraphs. Too chicken to read the rest!

I’m glad your boy’s alright. Poor baby.

I have to say, the idea of a do-it-yourself ER made me laugh out loud! I know funding for health care is a major issue, but if it comes to that…! :eek:

Poor kid, but I’m sure he’ll be fine. It will make a good story. My brother (now 27) has a scar on his toe from pulling a baby balance (that my mom was weighing me on) over the counter when he was about 3. He has come up with brilliant stories over the years, with the current one being about how I tried to murder him. Was your son with a sibling at the time? :smiley:

Scary shit, **Uncommon Sense **. I’m glad he’ll be fine.

Something similar happened to my youngest brother when he was about two years old - he was playing with our middle brother, and he didn’t notice that the little guy’s pinky was in the door hinge when he closed it. He lost a fair portion of the finger, but the hospital reattached it and he’s suffered no ill effects. He probably wouldn’t know that it happened if we didn’t tell him.

I truly feel your anguish Uncommon Sense. I took a five kids (four of mine, plus a loaner) to a deserted beach at the end of the road when my son was two. My oldest had put him on the ground when the loaner kid opened the back door and my son’s ring finger had all the meat removed just past the end joint, as he had his hand in the door frame. I looked frantically for the missing piece, couldn’t find it, hysteria ensued. I piled everyone back in the car, had my oldest hold my son and some paper towels over the bleeding finger, and seriously exceeded the speed limit back into town. Of course this was on the Friday of the Labor Day Weekend and our doctor was out of town, so the on call E.R. doc cleaned it and wrapped it and sent us home. (Once home I got the shakes.) By Sunday the gauze covering the finger was oozing green stuff, and so back to the E.R. I went. Our doc had come back in to town, as it was raining and miserable and camping was no fun, and for the first and only time he made me leave the room while he worked on my son. When I came back the kid was bandaged and looking fine, and I was pleased until the doc told me to hold out my hand, and he dropped a 1/4 inch piece of my son’s finger bone into my palm! He had to clip it, as there was nothing left to cover it, and he sewed the fingernail up and over the wound. It really isn’t noticible unless you really look at his hand, but I am certain that he will come up with stories as to how he lost his finger in the future.

I am glad your son is doing well, you and the rest of the family too, and the kitties are so cute!