Crap, my 5 year old just lost his toe in the door.

Well I certainly hoped you saved it for a future Wendy’s Chilli scam!

I assume you went to Childrens. Even if you didn’t you say your Milwaukee-ish. It’s good to know we have one of the best childres hospitals in the country so close.
(If you didn’t know that, listen to Dave and Carols Miracle Marathon every year and you will know it after that)

Hugs to Uncommon Sense, Uncommon Sense Kid, and Uncommon Sense Family! Glad to hear that everyone survived and that things are on the mend. He looks like One Of The Good Ones.

An, yes, those kittens are cute. :slight_smile:

Short term benefit: he will be like a god to the other five year olds when he tells them this story and show them The Foot.

Long term benefit: now he’ll get to use all the good parking spaces.

Actually, we went to West Allis Memorial on 90th and Lincoln. That’s the closest to our house the has a very easily accessible ER entrance.
I didn’t call 911 because he wasn’t bleeding that bad and I knew I could get him to the hospital much quicker than an ambulance. We were there in literally 10 minutes.
In this case time wasn’t that important.

News; Yesterday he was doing much better. He tried to walk on it (when we weren’t looking) and took a few steps without pain right before we yelled at him to get off his feet. He really shouldn’t put much pressure on it until after the follow up visit from the Doc on Friday. He was in really good spirits.

I just feel so bad for him still. I keep replaying the parts in my head when I find him on the stool in the bathroom with his hand holding the tissue to his foot and whimpering. I don’t think he realised part of his toe was gone, yet he was trying to stop the bleeding on his own. He could have yelled for us but he was sooo quiet. He then tried to tell me that he was trying to get his sister to come in the house for dinner (she was by the kitties just outside the garage) and then she came in the house and he closed the door behind her. She was with him in the bathroom while he tried to fix himself.
Then I keep replaying the part where I see the foot and then run to the garage and find the toe. I felt terrible, and still do. There was nothing I could do at that point to help him 'cept haul ass to the ER.

He was such a brave guy at the hospital too. I would have passed out when the Doc was working on my toe, yet he just wanted to watch the whole thing. I still don’t think he understands exactly what happened (that he’s missing part of his toe) but that will sink in slowly over the next few weeks.
I realise it ain’t that bad on the grand scale of things, but it’s something you clearly want to avoid at all cost as a parent. You just feel so helpless and keep thinking about ways it could have been avoided.

Well, he’s doing fine, he’s tough and I thank you again for your support and virtual hugs. Thanks, you guys are great!

The kittens are doing great too. I added some more pics if you check out the link in the OP.

My wife gave birth there and my dad had his colonoscopy there. I know exactly where it is. Luckily, I haven’t had any use for the ER so I don’t know how accessible it is.

The tip of my little finger got smashed off in a door when I was three. I remember wondering what would happen if I put it in the space between the door and the wall right before my brother slammed it shut. I don’t remember the rest.

They couldn’t reattached it back then, so my right little finger is about 1/4 inch smaller than my left.

Good luck to the kid!

Ah, my wife gave birth there also, at the Women’s Pavillion on 4-26-2001. Any chance our wives were there together? :wink:

Well, with our current crop of annecdotal evidence I don’t think anyone else on the planet needs to wonder this. :wink:

Concur; losing a toe in a door is lame. Help him make up an exciting cover story now!

Ouch! I’m glad to hear he’s okay.

No, we were 12-9-05 at the Womens Pavaillion.

BTW, what where you’re thoughts on the recovery area upstairs? We had some inattentaive nurses. Inattentive as in having to page 3 or 4 times and waiting an hour and a half to get painkillers. Although the L&D floor and staff are great.

Actually, it was the third one we had there, born on 9-18-02.

I’ll tell you what, I don’t recall anything about the recovery area so it must have been a decent experience. However, !!! - the L&D floor was, how shall I put this, not the swiftest on their toes.
Brief history;
Wife gives birth to number one about four hours after labor pains started. The actual labor part (from fully dialated to where she started pushing) was roughly 45 minutes. Number two was about the same, even a little quicker. By all accounts they were very fast delivies, in fact her water broke in the parking lot as we got out of the car to check in for number two. Both were at St. Lukes.

We figure the third one will be even faster yet, so we get pre-admitted to the Women’s Pavillion (WP for short (we chose this place because it’s the closest and we heard it was a great place)) like weeks ahead of time, this is to prevent all the last minute pesky details that are always waayyyy more important than actually delivering a baby and NONE of this information can be obtained after the child is born, no-sirrrr-eee, have to have all the forms filled out BEFORE the child is born, even if your wife is crossing her legs to prevent the baby from spilling out onto the bed. So we get all pre-admitted up and then wait for the baby to come.

OK, baby is ready to be born. Wife thinks this one will be quick since the labor pains go from hardly anything to a couple of minutes apart in about a half an hour.
Race to the WP. Water breaks in the parking lot again. See a trend here?
We even called on our way there to let them know we where coming.

Now the following is absolutely true to the best of my knowledge;
About 30 minutes after we arrived and were in the bed they are still asking us questions as the attending person fills out the forms. No doctor yet, no bedside birthing kit, no real nurse. My wife and I explain to this person that she delivers quickly, we even relayed the events as they unfolded at St. Lukes.
Basically, watch out here it comes. The attending person (not even sure if she was a nurse or not) just nods and continues filling out the paper work. My wife at this point is shaking and I ask her if she’s alright and she brings her knees together and says, “I think it’s coming out!!”
OK, NOW let’s pop it into gear people :confused: . The attending person runs into the hallway and grabs the nearest nurse, she comes in, throws on some gloves and checks my wife. She’s not only fully dialated but she’s effin crowning. Look of shock on nurse :eek: . Runs into hallway to get the nearest Doc, actually yells down the hall to the nurses station, “Get a birthing table in here NOW!” A team of blue shirts comes in 30 seconds later with all the goodies and, I swear to you, the baby comes out just as the delivering nurse gets her hands down there to assist.
“Now do you believe she delivers fast?!?” I say. Well, I think I thought that part loudly enough for anyone in the room to hear it. I find out later that the nurses that delivered the baby weren’t supposed to be doing that, it should have been done by the attending doctor, but she was at another bed and they didn’t have time to call for backup. Sheeeesh!

Everything turned out OK and our visit after that was pretty uneventful.
The dinner was a nice touch and our other two kids stayed with us the whole time (I think it was three days).

BTW, my good friend tiled the entry way to that building, the area with the water feature. Nice work, huh?

It’s always the little sister’s fault! When I was 5 I closed our outside door to keep my little sister from going inside while my mom was cooking dinner. I put my arm through the glass and slit my wrist wide open,and like your son I didn’t scream or call for help, I just went into shock at the sight of the blood and stood there. The sound of breaking glass brought mom running though and soon I was wailing loud enough to draw the neighbors out.

20 stitches later and now I have a scar about 6" long that still attracts questions about suicide attempts. I think everyone needs a childhood injury to tell stories about later. Of course now that I have my own son I can do without the heart attack panic moment that would imply.

Glad little guy is ok.

I nearly lost my pinkie toe when I was a kid, but they attached it. I really wished they hadn’t. The thing dislocates at the drop of a hat, and that equals about 12 times a year. Then I have to tug at it and rotate it until the joint is all better. Not a pleasant thing to do. I actually asked the doc I had for my last year’s checkup if they could just go ahead and amputate it.

It’s when the kids are quiet that you worry. Ivygirl is normally a screamer when she stubs her toe, and everything is SO dramatic…until the time she sliced the underside of her knuckle to the bone while she was slicing an orange…with a butcher’s knife. :smack:
Then, it was a whispered “Ivyboy?” to her brother so she wouldn’t wake her Daddy.

She got three stitches at the hospital over that.

Sorry, meant to add that I’m glad it was nothing “vital.” I mean, it was his fourth toe, and I’m sorry it’s gone, but he’ll live a full life without prosthetics.

Here’s hoping for a quick recovery and plenty of gross-out stories for his friends…

Love that AMX, dude.