Creature from the Black Lagoon in original 3D tonight, I'm there

So, our local art deco theater is showing **Creature from the Black Lagoon **in original 3D tonight and I’m a going. Some of you may remember my thread on Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, same venue, it’s *le cool *to have such a gig in my town. I’ve seen Rocky Horror Picture Show there, Wizard of Oz, **Fiddler on the Roof **(with musical subtitles), The Great Escape, Forbidden Planet, and I can’t remember what all else.

While I’m no fan of 3D in general, Creature was well worth seeing.

Creature form the Black Lagoon happens to be the first movie I ever saw in 3-D. I saw it as a kid in Detroit in about 78 I’d say. It was a double feature with another pic from the same period.

Well, the 3D effect was quite bad. I guess they did a remake in the seventies and it wasn’t very good. Some bits were great actually, the underwater scenes were mostly effective, but a lot of it was bad and my eyes took awhile to normalize after it let out. Still a fun movie, some cheezy laughs, some bathing hotness, some social anachronism, good stuff.

I think it’s a lot of fun to see some of these old movies on the big screen with a crowd. You could argue that I could rent or maybe even buy the movie for less, but the theater is just different.

I loved that movie when I was a little kid. I had the model on the shelf right next to my bed.

I was on vacation in Florida a while back and I went to Wakulla Springs State Park. Something seemed very familiar about the place, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. When the guy on the tour boat told us about The Creature being filmed there, it just made my day. They celebrated the 50th anniversary of the movie’s release at the Springs back in 2003.

To be clear, by “original 3D”, do you mean that they used the old 3D projection technology, or that they used modern circular-polarization technology, but using the original 3D footage?

I saw the original release in 3D with the cheesey cardboard glasses. :cool:

I saw Creature from the Black Lagoon in a theater back in the late '70’s too, that was in Overland Park, KS. I wonder if it was an anniversary. I don’t remember if it was in 3D or not. I saw The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madra for the first time at that same theater.

I know what you mean. I’ve been seeing so many great older movies at the Music Box and the Gene Siskel Film Center here in Chicago, ever since I found out the Music Box has $5 Mondays, and since I got a membership at the GSFC. It’s $50.00 a year, but then all movies are $5 for members. I’ve seen 8 Akira Kurosawa films, François Truffaut’s Fahrenheit 451 and Small Change, Jean-Luc Godard’s Breathless, Fritz Lang’s Metropolis (the most recent restoration), and The Wild Bunch, for instance. I’d only seen Kurosawa’s Dersu Uzala and Truffaut’s Fahrenheit 451 before, most I hadn’t, and it’s just great seeing them on the big screen.

Where are you btw?

I had one of those, too.

Well the marquee announced it as ‘original 3D’, but they gave us carboard glasses that we had to wear backwards because of some kind of '70s rework. I can say that there were several scenes that where quite clearly fimed for the 3D ‘startle’ effect.
I saw Harold and Maude there as well, to a packed crowd mostly younger than the film (it is a college town)
I’m in San Luis Obispo, the theater even has a wiki

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/2302/

There’s nothing like seeing some of the old ‘classics’ in a real classic theater. Here in Sacramento we have The Crest…I’ve seen Casablanca, My Fair Lady, The Loved One, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, and I can’t remember what else…

One notable showing was a classic cartoon festival; old Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons. They were originally made to be shown in theaters, and they really do ‘work’ differently on the big screen…

You needed one of Julie Adams. And of course the boat “Rosemary”. In 1954 that bathing suit was hot.

cough/Rita/cough
in 2010 that bathing suit was hot

whoa! I think that I may have been there. Was it sort of an old fashioned theater with the balconies and velvet curtains and such? Were they doing a run of those old monster movies like Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Werewolf and the like?