Credit check when applying for a job

[QUOTE=t-bonham@scc.net]
I was under the impression that those are all pretty much a scam – at most they just do what you could do yourself for free.

Do you have information that some of them are NOT a rip-off?
[/QUOTE]

I am not talking about the “credit fixing” companies- which more or less “do what you could do yourself for free” as you said. There are programs that analyse your FICO score and tell you stuff to optimize it. Fixing your credit report ain’t brain surgery- Negs are bad, try and get rid of them. Duh. Your FICO score is strange, mysterious and secret, and realy we have no clue. I don’t have enough info to recomend a company but when you order yours the various Credit reporting agencies will offer to sell you one. I don’t know if they are actually worth the $$ in all cases, but I do know that a tiny bit of jiggery with your credit can make a 1/4 % diff on a Mortgage. That 1/4% can make thousands of $ of difference over decades.

[QUOTE=DrDeth]
If we could show that “race is statistically correlated with fraud and theft” would then choosing dudes on the basis of race be OK? :dubious: "Statistically correlated " is crap- either that given employee will or *will not * steal.
[/QUOTE]

There are also employeees who don’t have college degrees who are much better employees with college degrees or even Masters degrees.

It seems as though you would also say that since a degree cannot predict what that one individual employee in front of you will do, we should also not be able to eliminate someone because they don’t have a college degree.

[QUOTE=Philster]
There are also employeees who don’t have college degrees who are much better employees with college degrees or even Masters degrees.

It seems as though you would also say that since a degree cannot predict what that one individual employee in front of you will do, we should also not be able to eliminate someone because they don’t have a college degree.
[/QUOTE]

Well, that depends on the job. Indeed, for most jobs, experience would be just as good as a degree.

So then an check on one’s education should not be conducted???

[QUOTE=gonzomax]
The checks are a waste of time. The interviewing process and reference checks should sufice. If someone has fallen on bad financial times due to illness or some other unforseen circumstance it does not follow that they would be a bad employee.
[/QUOTE]

Hehe… reference checks… LOL

Of course the 3 friends that I’ve worked with will always give the best indication of my future job performance :rolleyes: (well, actually, I’m very good at what I do, so they would accurately represent my work…)

I’ve always thought the reference bit was a bunch of hooey.

Would you give someone as a reference that wouldn’t give you a good one? What’s to stop you from giving your friends a briefing on what to say?

(to the OP) I work in a financial company, and have had not only the credit check, but my fingerprints have been taken and run through the system. Now that’s a check.

[QUOTE=Philster]
So then an check on one’s education should not be conducted???
[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say that. But I do say that in many cases I have seen job listings where a degree was mandatory, and it appeared that some college and a lot of experience would be better than the degree. Thus, in many cases, the employers should not make a degree such a hard and fast requirement. Maybe something like “A four year degree in the field is usually required. Four years of specialized experience can be substituted for two years of college, however.”

Poor people got no reason to live. They are by being poor proving they are lesser human beings and not to be trusted.
We love our sophistry on this board. How many cheat their way through college. Buy term papers ,get tests early. College people should never be trusted.
Being poor is no reason to steal. Being hungry might be. Feeling cheated because you have a Ford and every body you hang out with drive Mercedes . Now thats a real reason to steal A nice sense of entitlement.
It sounds logical superficially that bad credit people equate to thieves. But is just another insult and deflamation to the unfortunate.

[QUOTE=DrDeth]
I didn’t say that. But I do say that in many cases I have seen job listings where a degree was mandatory, and it appeared that some college and a lot of experience would be better than the degree. Thus, in many cases, the employers should not make a degree such a hard and fast requirement. Maybe something like “A four year degree in the field is usually required. Four years of specialized experience can be substituted for two years of college, however.”
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the job announcement will specify a degree in a specific subject, but the employer does not always insist on it. I got my current job by answering such an announcement. I didn’t have any degree in the subjects they were looking for, but I did have other degrees, and a lot of relevant experience.

[QUOTE=TimeWinder]
Uh, yeah. I meant “illegal” to modify “discrimination”, not “laws.” This is why we need to abolish English in favor of C++.
[/QUOTE]

I nominate Latin.