Credit crunching wedding.

How do any of you know for sure that they are “travellers”? They look latino to me, at least the mom and bride do.

If she got married just days after her 16th birthday, how old was she when she got the tit job? 15? 14? Did she and mom get them done at the same time?

Terribly good of her to make do with no top on her dress so her daughter could afford all this, of course.

Humm.

Well, it’s not what I would choose to wear on my ‘Special Day’ and I think spending that much money on a wedding is absurd; however, they look very happy so I guess it’s all good.

Sort of off topic, but what is a caravan in this modern context? A group of RVs? Or is it more of a mobile-home type situation?

Possibly not in Ireland.

Not by me it isn’t

It can be a caravan like this, RVs are common enough but some trailers are expensive and have plenty of space. It depends on how well the occupier is doing financially really.

An Gadai,what does “Debs” mean? I heard this term while I was in Ireland a few weeks ago.

Loved Ireland, by the way!

A caravan is what you’d call an RV, only you tow it behind a car or truck. There really isn’t space on European roads for Winnebago-type RVs. A US style RV is usually called a “camper van”.

*Caravan also refers to an old-time trade convoy deal, with camels, or whatever.

Debutantes, I think.

It’s The Debutante’s Ball, the Irish version of the Prom.

You might want to tell the Gypsy Conucil that, plus the government due to pages such as these. In other words, it’s not considered a racial slur in Britain, when used correctly in reference to a particular ethnic group.

She’s only being practicle. The crystals off her dress will help her start fires, allowing her to keep her enormous breasts warm in the harsh Irish winters.

In the US, that would be called a travel trailer. The Winnebago-type are called motorhomes. Both would be considered RV’s.

Wasn’t Brad Pitt’s character in Snatch a Irish Traveller? That would explain a lot.

Still, mother and daughter appear to have nice racks, which makes me happy and complacent when thinking about this and looking at the photos. Plus, they look like they’d be easy, which is a nice thought too.

Wouldn’t marry 'em for any amount of money though!

In Eastern Europe, the local word for gypsy (which is inevitably something like “tsigan” or “sigan”, no matter what the language) is very commonly used. I heard alternately that it’s offensive and not offensive, and although I always said Roma to stay on the safe side, I literally never once heard a Roma person describe themselves as such; they also used “tsiganni” and described their language as “tsiganski”. Western, more politically aware Roma, might have a different POV, but this is not really set in stone.

In Bulgaria, most Roma aren’t politically aware because they’re illiterate and haven’t been to school past grade 4 or 5. Getting married (including kidnapping girls and forcing them to marry) is normal.

Anyway. That wedding is something else, huh?

See Post #8