Critique My Plan For Meeting Women

My plan, in a nutshell:

1. Get a dog
  2. Walk said dog
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

In not so much of a nutshell:

The start of the thread is pretty much a joke, though I have heard that walking your dog can be a good way to meet women. Pretty soon, though, I’m moving someplace where I might be able to have a dog (or at least a pet). (This whole idea could get shot down depending on the lease.) Now, I have dealt with dogs, though I have never had one of my own (just cats for me.) But I figure, hey, I would like some companionship, there is enough room in the yard for at least a small dog, and I can always crate train it, especially if it’s young. Perhaps not a puppy, because I will probably be gone for 8-12 hours a day (at least), though it could be feasible to go home once or twice during the day to let said doggy out. It’s often pretty warm in Las Cruces, even in the winter, so I wouldn’t feel too bad if the dog spent some time each day running around the back yard or if I even had a crate out there, especially in the shade in the summer and covered from any potential rain. Plus, there is plenty of neighborhood in which to walk the dog every day as well as the campus itself.

So, how hard is it to train a dog? Deal with puppy behavior (though I have nothing against adopting an adult dog)? Make sure it is happy and healthy? And other such things.

Or should I just look into a cat?

Uh, if a mod could subtitle this “(Thinking Of Getting A Dog)”, that would be great.

I think anyone who’s regularly gone at least 8-12 hours each day probably shouldn’t have a dog. Sorry.

Get the cat. They’ll draw more attention on a leash anyway.

I have a dog, he is small, cute, friendly and loves kids. Here is Goliath. He is a chick magnet - but it is for 10 year old kids. Without a doubt he has helped me become more social, but I haven’t gotten any dates because of him, of course that is probably me.

Best situation that I failed to follow up on - I was walking Goliath, and an attractive woman was coming the other way. She see Goliath and starts to smile (he has that effect) so I say to Goliath, “attack”. She started laughing, a perfect sign to strike up a conversation, but I dropped the ball.

And plenty of people disagree with that position.

So if you want a dog, and you have a better reason for getting a companion that could live in your house for more then a decade the meeting women, get one.

How much to rent Goliath, by the hour?

He doesn’t swing that way. :smiley:

I’ve met tons of women at the dog park over the last 7 years I’ve had a dog.

I never dated one, but I already had a woman when I got a dog.

Some of those women have dated other men from the dog park. But, that runs into similar complications as dating someone from work. A dog park is a pretty good woman-meeting spot for many reasons. You both have a reason for being there. You tend to learn other people schedules so you can avoid or see other people at your whim. You can casually drop lines like, “i’m going to be at moe’s later on having a beer,” and see what happens. The dogs provide a natural conversation, but you’re not forced to talk either, since you’re there for a reason.

Of course I have a better reason. I want a pet. Heck, I’ve wanted a cat for the last couple of years, but it wouldn’t’ve been fair to my parents to saddle them with a new animal 8 months out of the year. However, I’ve thought about trying living for a dog for a change. The dogs I meet seem to love me, for some odd reason.

Plus, how am I going to steal from shops without a pet?

I’m regularly gone for 8+ hours at a time and my little doggie is ok - he does have a bunny companion and they spend quite a bit of time smootching through the bunny cage, but he’s still pretty well adjusted.

As to meeting women - I suppose it might work - I certainly have more positive feelings about random men I see walking around if they have a dog with them.

Then you should certainly look into getting a dog. They’re great. :slight_smile:

While it’s ideal to have someone home with your dog 24/7, it’s obviously not a standard all of us will be able to live up to, especially if you’re single and you work. But I strongly believe that you can be gone for a big chunk of the day and still have a happy dog at home–you just need to be sure to give it plenty of love and attention while you are home. A dog that goes for a walk with you in the morning, sleeps in your bedroom at night, plays with you in the afternoon, and follows you around in the house when you are home can be a pretty happy animal. Certainly happier then the typical suburban “backyard dog” that lives its whole life in the backyard and goes long stretches without human interaction (despite its family being just 20 feet away, inside the house).

Dog selection becomes more important–some breeds are more active and/or social then other breeds and don’t handle long stretches alone well. If you can take time off for the first week or two (or telecommute) and go home for lunch for a few months thereafter (or have another dog for companionship, or pay a dog walker, etc.) then don’t rule out a puppy. If that’s not feasible, definately look into an older dog. A retired racing greyhound can be ideal–they can handle being alone for the day just fine, they come cratetrained, and they’re really sweet dogs. If greyhounds don’t strike your fancy, look into getting a rescue from another breed. A pound dog could work out, but in your situation having the behavioural reliability of a well-bred purebred is a Good Thing.

So start reading up on breed selection!

Check out Paws to Consider, by Brian Kilcommons. It has an entire chapter devoted to breeds that make good “9-5 dogs” for working people. The author is a well-known and respected dog trainer who also has a good “Raising Your Puppy” book, Good Owners, Great Dogs (also good, but considerably more ‘old-school’ is the Monks of New Skeet’s The Art of Raising a Puppy).

Another really good breed selection book is The Right Dog For You. I used this book to pick the breed I got into, and it’s also well-respected and well-known.