Crochet: Need a lacy but warm pattern

I’m making some scarves for Christmas for some ladies (yes, I know, points off my man card). I was simply double-crocheting, twenty-wide but I don’t like the resulting fabric - too firm & not aesthetic enough. (and, no, I’m not running this through the spell checker).

Anyway, I need an easy-to-moderate repeating pattern that’ll make something soft, a bit lacy, but still functionally warm scarf.

Right now I’m using “Homespun” by Lion yarns, if that helps at all.

Any suggestions? Bonus points for pictures, I’m very visually compared to reading those cryptic stitching instructions.

OK - replying to my own post.

I’ve done all this with a “J” hook - and I have a man’s touch on tension - if this stuff were kevlar yarn, nothing would make it through.

There’s an online pattern I found that suggests just simple single-crochet rows but using an “N” hook - would that give me the softness I’d like? There’s also on I found that uses a “speed” hook. Is the result of a speed hook, umm, interwoven sufficiently to not distort over time?

I use homespun all the time, (my DC baby blankets are a hit whereever they go :slight_smile: ) but I would use a much bigger. hook I never do Homespun on less than an “N” hook. try that, an easy fix.

Otherwise you could just skip every other stitch, putting in a chain to carry over the gap. (ie DC 1, ch 1, skip 1, DC 1, ch1, skip 1, etc etc)

But I bet a bigger hook would do it,

yarn snob: Well, crocheting with Homespun *is * like crocheting with Kevlar; nasty, splitting, pilling, shedding Kevlar./yarn snob
Ok, I really do dislike Homespun, but I know some people have great results with it.

A larger hook will give you a softer hand. Homespun mixed with something else, like a novelty yarn (Bernat Bling Bling is pretty and soft, for example, and I have used it successfully with Homespun), will also give you a softer hand, if you want to use a speed hook. Stitchwise, I might go to a triple or an extended double crochet if you want to keep it very simple. Shells are also simple and will add some variation for a couple of rows here and there, but even something as simple as alternating single/double/triple makes a nice fabric. If you really want a lacy look, I would recommend a smooth yarn, like Patons Classic Merino (I’m a fiber snob, too), instead of a boucle like Homespun. Patons SWS is a soy/wool with nice color repeats, and it’s very soft. Of course, if they have wool allergies, you’ll want to avoid those.

You could always go for a V stitch as well - make a double crochet in the fifth chain stitch from the hook, chain one, and then make another double crochet in the chain stitch. Skip the next two chains, then repeat: double, chain, double in the same stitch. When you get to the end of the row, turn it, chain three. All those chain stitches between your double crochets made a nice little space in the middle of each V, right? For your next row, and every row after, just make your double crochets into that space.

Does that make sense? I’m not really good at describing stitches.

What about shell stitch? Make your foundation chain, ch3 and turn; skip 2 ch and dc 3 in the next ch. Repeat across.