crock pot meals

hey all you cooks! I would like to know some of the meals you have cooked in a crock pot. I just found out that I can have a crock pot in my dorm room, and I am soooo excited. I am sick, sick, sick of microwave food! Help me find a way to cook real food at college! :slight_smile:

tipi :slight_smile:

Well heres a super easy recipe perfect for college as long as you can get to a grocery store to buy some meat, and have a freezer to preserve it.

3 lbs of a pot roast/loin of beef.
3 cans of condensed French Onion soup
Salt, Pepper, Italian seasonings

Add everything to a crock pot, add water to bring condensed soup level to completely submerge the meat. Use as little water as possible, so be sure meat is broken up. Cook for 8-10 hours on low. Stir occasionally and shred beef by hand 6 hours into cooking. Serve on french bread and top with juice.

Here’s an easier recipe:

Put large chunk of meat into crockpot. Put in some sliced onions, or sprinkle minced dried onions onto the meat. Do not add liquid. Turn on crockpot, let simmer til the meat falls apart.

The main problem with crockpot cooking is that you’ll end up with a LOT of liquid. I tossed a four pound brisket into my pot recently, added no liquid, and had about two cups of liquid when it was finished cooking. You also need to be careful with seasoning, as the food will be very flavorful even without any seasoning.

Here’s something else, for a smaller pot:

A couple of slices of ham
Some onion
Beans, navy, white, or blackeye pea

Pick over the beans and soak them as directed on the package. Drain. Put into the pot with the ham and onion. Cover with water (this time you DO want to add liquid) and cook on low until done.

Lynn the Packrat

Tipiwoo,
I have a hundred and one crockpot cookbooks- I’ll post or e-mail you a handful of recipes. That will work out great for you at college- you can cook your dinner while you’re at class. Here are my crockpot rules of thumb:

If cooking chicken, just get some regular cuts (doesn’t have to be boneless) use cream of chicken soup as liquid or chicken broth (1 can) around here we have Swansons seasoned broth- just dump in a can with some chicken- slice up some potatos if you want.

If cooking beef, tenderize first (pound it a bit with a meat tenderizer). I usually get a big slab 'o beef and put it in with a seasoning packet. MMMmmmmmmmm…

Don’t ever cook broccoli, cauliflower, or brussel sprouts in it. STINKY. Especially in a dorm.

Anyway, I’ll get some recipes together for you.

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/zettecity/index.html

I just got one too…it has changed my life!

And DEFINATELY DONT cook brocoli or cauliflower, done it, and my house smelled like feet for days.gag

Chili is excellent in a crock pot, and I love ham/pork, with cream of mushroom soup, serve over minute rice w/ steamed veggies…drool…thats whats cooking at this moment at my house. :slight_smile:

Drool? Kelli, you’re cooking drool in the crockpot? Can’t you just warm it up in the microwave?

I’m always afraid to leave the crockpot on when I’m not home. The one I have gets extremely hot even on the low heat setting. I know they’re UL listed and pretty safe, but they just seem like cheap electrical appliances to me. Kind of like Christmas tree lights.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

If you like Mexican food here is a recipe for Borracho (sp?) beans that I like.

Ingredients:
1 lb pinto beans (soaked overnight and take out all the grudgy bits…ie the rocks and nasty chunks)
1/2 lb bacon (optional)
12 oz bottle of beer (use your favorite)
2-4 swigs tabasco sauce
can of chopped rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with peppers inside)
3-5 tbsp of ground cumin (AKA Comino)
1 tbsp of chili powder
1 medium sized onion diced
salt and pepper to taste

Put all the ingredients in the crockpot if there is not enough liquid to cover the mixture add water. Turn crockpot on its highest setting and leave on all day long stirring occasionally. You will have a flavorful bean soup mix by the end of the day (around 6 hours). If you add too much salt quarter a potato and throw it in.

It goes well with beano. (recommended)

The best part about this is the next day you can either reheat the beans in a microwave and they are even more delicious. Also, to make refried beans, put desired amount into a frying pan (make sure it has liquid in it as well) and mash with a fork. YUM!

HUGS!
SqrlCub

Move over Satan. :wink: Now there’s something meatier. http://smallwonder.simplenet.com/COC.html

This is a real easy classic:
one can mushroom soup
2 lbs chicken

Cook.

I had a problem with my crockpot in that things didn’t seem to cook in the proper time. The lid didn’t seem to fit quite right, so I thought perhaps that was it, but I don’t know. Is the lid supposed to be like that?

You might try SOAR, the great recipe site out of Berkely. They have a whole slew of crockpot recipes. Also, Top Secret Recipes on the Web has a nice collection, w/ a decent search function. You could try Gail’s Recipe Swap on the Epicurious site, though I don’t recall if they have much on crockpots.

You have the basics nailed, though: main ingredient (meat, beans, whatever); liquid and seasonings to match, amble off and come home to a hot meal.

BTW, you can do a killer chicken & dumplings. Toss the chix into the pot w/ a can of low-sodium broth and some seasonings, some chopped onion, carrot and potatoe. When you get back, whomp up a little batch of Bisquick, or use chop up some canned biscuits. Drop them on top of the broth, and let 'em rip for a while. Dig in.
Easy, filling and comfort food.

Bon appetit!
Veb

The Keller crock-pot cholent recipe:

Put some oil on the bottom of the crock-pot to heat up.

When oil is hot, add a sliced onion and a minced clove of garlic.

Once these have been sauteed to a reasonable degree, add about 1/2 lb. of flank steak. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & paprika. Turn over, do same to other side. Brown the spiced meat.

When meat is brown, add 4 medium-size potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks, 1/3 cup of barley and some beans (some stores sell it as “cholent mix”, it’s mostly kidney beans and cranberry beans). Cover with water. Place into water a teaspoon of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and a dash of pepper.

Let simmer for a good long time.

Enjoy!

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Drool? Kelli, you’re cooking drool in the crockpot? Can’t you just warm it up in the microwave?

Very funny.

Smartass. :wink:

Just doing what I do best, Kells. It’s almost a hobby.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Tipi- I didn’t forget you…here’s a great website for Crockpot recipes…there are TONS on there, so get out your printer! (or warm it up, anyway!) http://southernfood.miningco.com/home/food/southernfood/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
Zettecity

thanks guys…and gals. :slight_smile: Especially you Zette! This is gonna be great. NO MORE MICROWAVE CRAP! (sorry- I just couldn’t resist shouting for joy). Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I’ll let you know about any successes/failures. Things get pretty interesting around here. (for instance, I didn’t know anyone was this dumb, but yesterday, some girl tried to flush a pad down the toilet with her poopy. big big stinky mess.) sorry. just had to share some of my dorm life woes. bye now. :slight_smile:

tipi :slight_smile:

Libby’s Adventures in Crock Pot Cooking:

Today, I made a decent beef stew in mine. Take 1 pound of stew meat, and one of those larger-sized cans of cream of mushroom soup. Throw them in a crock pot with enough chopped veggies to fill the pot (this time I just used carrots, potatoes, sliced mushrooms, and onions, but I’ve been known to use celery and turnips as well, depending on my mood). You probably will think that you don’t have enough soup, but don’t worry. When it cooks down, it creates plenty of juice. Cook it on high for five hours or so, stirring it once halfway through. It’ll start out looking god-awfully nasty, and eventually turn a nice brown color.

For those of you without a crock pot, you can make the same thing in a covered casserole in the oven. Cook it on 250-75 for five hours. You may want to add a small can of cream of chicken as well. The only difference between the oven and crockpot versions is that the oven version has a slightly thicker base…more like a gravy than a thick broth.