A couple of years ago, a cracked tooth (number 18 for those with this sort of knowledge) led to me getting a root canal and a crown. All was well until a week ago. The crown came off, and the tooth was now broken in half, front to back. Not really half, more like a 75/25 split.
Anyway, I go to the dentist, she pulls out the 25% portion of the tooth and leaves the remaining 75%. She says the remaining tooth can’t be saved, and she recommends pulling the remaining portion and replacing it with an implant. She says that pulling the remaining portion and leaving the space empty is an option, but not recommended, because the tooth above it will, in time, drop down and cause problems. And, since my wisdom teeth were removed in my teens, a bridge is not an option. Also, a new “extended” crown might not be possible because of lack of support, not enough bone, or some such thing.
My issue is that the cost of what she recommends is almost $4000, and isn’t covered by my dental insurance. (Dental insurance, that’s a topic for the pit. What a racket!)
So, here is my question: What if I left the tooth just as it is, with no crown on it? It’s had a root canal, it doesn’t hurt, doesn’t interfere with my eating, and is not visible to anyone. My desire to leave everything as is is strictly financial, as $4000 for one tooth seems stupid high. My dentist’s answers are skewed by the desire for profit, so I don’t want to ask her.