Cruz drops out of the race

Another tribute has fallen.

Cruzifer has been Cruzified!

I heard this morning that he had returned to Texas over the night, which must be the source of that sour smell when I woke up this morning…

Oh, well, it’s all nicely preserved on tape, ready for the campaign ads. :smiley:

Not everyone. Horrible as President Cruz would have been, I still think President Trump would be worse.

Name your poison. I can’t imagine ever voting for either, and think both would be awful (if in different ways) in the White House.

Cruz wanted to change the system of checks and balances that would allow more religious liberty laws.
He’s an Originalist when it comes to the Constitution and would have 2 or more possible SCOTUS nominations where his choices would make Scalia look like a flaming liberal.

I know he lost Indiana and the chance to block Donald is razor thin, but I’m stunned Cruz dropped out now. Especially because, for whatever reason, Kasich is staying in.

I was thinking maybe Boehner’s trash-talking had something to do with it - making him realize that he couldn’t get mainstream support in the increasingly unlikely case of a contested convention. Or just making him ornery - " GOP, I’m spending all this time and money staying in the race cuz you wanted my help in stopping Trump and this is how you treat me, screw you"

Or maybe his daughters were having screaming nightmares about the scary lady that wanted to play with them on the bus.

Or maybe the sex scandal was about to grow some legs.

That concession speech was guns blazing. Even though the banner on CNN below him was giving a major spoiler I didn’t believe it until he got to the last few lines. I don’t think this is a guy who is going to fade into the background - I think his Senate colleagues better be ready for future hijinks.

Or maybe what everyone was saying was true:Indiana needed to be won to stop Trump from getting to 1237 and instead Trump destroyed him. Cruz isn’t going to retire after this so conceding with some dignity is better for his long term image.

Not only has she had the shortest VP run in history, she is the only person who has ever lost the same Presidential race twice.

Hey, Carly! “World’s Biggest Loser” called. They’ve cancelled this year’s show - you can come in and pick up your trophy any time.

Maybe Trump will tap her and she can get the trifecta.

Hypothetically.

If a safe falls on and squashes TRUMP later today, can Cruz step back in?

IMHO:

1. The scale of his loss in NY took all the wind out of Cruz’s sails.
  2. After NY, the RNC realized that Cruz would definitely lose that state in the general, while Trump could conceivably win NY. Since Texas is a given, there’s no geographical advantage to having Cruz.
  3. The RNC then began a deliberate campaign to get Cruz out of the race. Boehner’s remarks were one part of it, the people supporting Boehner were another*, but behind the scenes I bet the RNC had a number of Come To Jesus meetings not just with Cruz but Cruz’s largest supporters: “You will lose New York in the general. Trump may actually win it. End this after Indiana.”
  4. Cruz panics. That’s why he tries to deal with Kasich. That’s why he does Fiorina. Anything to move that needle in Indiana, his last hope.

Losing NY the way he did was what finally killed the Cruz candidacy - the rest was all inertia and denial.

*I wouldn’t be shocked if the “Ted Cruz argued against masturbation as Atty General of Texas” story that came out a week or so ago was pushed by the RNC or its affiliates.

I don’t want to think about Trump tapping her.

There is no way Trump could win NY, and not even the RNC is stupid enough to think otherwise.

It’s about time. I can’t see how someone who relishes the fact that he can’t get along with *anyone *(even his own partymates) could drum up enough support to be President.

I, personally, am very conservative. Probably moreso than just about any other regular poster on the SDMB. I probably agree with Cruz on policy matters 80% or so. (However, on the 20% I disagree, I REALLY disagree).

But I would never vote for him. To me he is vile, with no redeeming qualities. He’s the type of person who comes up with a list of 10 policy wants and no interest in negotiating or compromising to allow himself to get some of what he wants. Somecome could say “we’ll give you 9 of the 10” and he would shut down the government or risk debt default in a hissy b/c he couldn’t get all 10. I have no respect for a man like that.\

Trump is like the locker room bully, snapping wet towels at the weaker kids saying “c’mon pussy! can’t you take a joke?!” Haw-hawing it up with the other bullies.

Cruz is the kid who agrees to work with you on an assignment, lets you do most of it, but then turns it in a day early as his own while telling the teacher you copied off him and getting you expelled. And then he smirks at you while he gets the “A” and you get marched out the door. He is underhanded, a liar, and has no scruples.

As a Republican, I’d much rather lose with Trump than win with Cruz.

Probably, but with Trump one could convince themselves there’s a shot at winning the state. With Cruz, no such delusions are possible.

I see no reason to introduce RNC backroom maneuvering into the plot. I mean it’s possible but Cruz and his backers could read the writing on the wall all on their own.

So you’re voting for Hillary?