Culinary : ingredient nomenclature - spices and what to do with them

So I have a recipe that calls for “tomato puree”.

Our grocery store sells “crushed tomatoes” (tinned) and “tomato paste” (tinned), but nothing called “tomato puree”.

Which do you think the recipe is calling for, O Doper chefs?

And then, I’ve been given some spices and I’m not sure what to do with them. How would you use the following:

Aleppo Pepper (“Her husband’s to Aleppo gone, the master of the Tiger” - to buy pepper?)

Sperzie al Tartufa (Italian Truffle spices)

Sumac

Kointje Cinnamon (Canelle d’Indonésie) - paging @CairoCarol

ETA: what are “oyster crackers”? Do I have to go to the Hamptons and hang out with Bushes to have some? The Kennedy compound in Nantucket?

Crushed would be the better substitute but not quite right.

Probably paste, but if you show us the recipe it might be easier to tell.

Those little crackers you sometimes get with clam chowder.

So I do have to go to Nantucket, order some clam chowder, and then get oyster crackers, and then pocket them and bring them home to my kitchen?

We don’t get a lot of clam chowder here in the centre of the continent …

There once was a soup from Nantucket.

Or so I hear.

I’d use tomato sauce for this.

It’s for “Arkhan the Cruel’s Flame-Roasted Halfling Chili”, p. 155 of Heroes’ Feast: The Official D&D Cookbook.

Yes, the Cub is in charge of tonight’s menu.

I went with the crushed tomatoes. It was awfully liquid to start with, but seems to be reducing nicely.

Tomato puree is a separate product. I see it in every grocery store with other canned tomato items.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunts-Tomato-Puree-10-75-Pack/dp/B00B04AEPQ/ref=asc_df_B00B04AEPQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=652498065761&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1814738972580809118&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005924&hvtargid=pla-873260355733&psc=1&mcid=201b1b38824c349586a00f1bb78f19d5

Crushed is my go-to, what I stock my cupboard with. What’s called ‘tomato sauce’ in the can is too processed for my liking, with added stuff like sugar usually. Purée is thicker and smoother, so if I want to thicken it up then yeah, just reduce it. You could probably pulse the crushed tomatoes in a blender if you want something smoother like purée, but I like my sauce a little chunky.

Yep, we’ve got all sorts of Hunts tomato stuff in our grocery store, but I didn’t see this. I might have just missed it. If there’s a call for the recipe again I will look more closely.

Tomato puree is sometimes sold as “passata” or “strained tomatoes”, so you could look for that.

To tell whether they actually mean tomato paste, I look at the quantity. If it says one tablespoon, it’s tomato paste; if it says one cup, then it’s passata.

ETA: Stores around here put passata in the pasta sauce aisle rather than the canned vegetables aisle, in case that helps you find it.

That’s just a well-marketed, probably good quality cinnamon, but I believe it is cassia rather than “true cinnamon.”

Having sampled many varieties of cinnamon (thank you, Penzey’s!), I now only buy Vietnamese cinnamon, as it seems to be hands down the best. But the Kointje will be just fine - use it as you would any McCormick cinnamon from the grocery store.

Sumac is used in some middle eastern dishes. It’s kind of mildly tangy. I’ve seen it on flatbreads and on chicken. Sometimes I use it on deviled eggs instead of paprika.

Oyster crackers are small, salted bland, 6-sided white crackers most often used on soups such as clam chowder.

Oh yeah, sumac is delicious! It goes well with most veggies. It’s also an ingredient in zaatar, a spice mix you can either buy or make yourself, for sprinkling on a flatbread with olive oil and then toasting. There are various recipes, but a classic zaatar tends to contain sumac, oregano, slightly crushed toasted sesame seeds, and ground pepper. I’m very fond of it.

ETA: what needscoffee said about oyster crackers. They usually seem to be served as a topping for tomato-based soups such as Manhattan clam chowder; I don’t personally recall seeing anyone put them on New England clam chowder, but that could just be because I stay as far away as possible from the stuff.

Yeah, no. I just checked both my tomato sauce and tomato paste. Neither has sugar added.

Added sugar is something I avoid in everything.

ETA: Perhaps some brands do that, but not the ones I use. And they’re common brands.

Often seen atop hummus and similar dishes, I use it anywhere I want a slightly citrus-y alternative to a sharp paprika, so on almost any egg, chicken, or fish dish. :slight_smile:

I live in California, and oyster crackers are available in any supermarket.

Hmm. i may have seen that.

And as for Aleppo: that’s a tasty but quite mild chili from Turkey. I use it when a recipe calls for crushed chilis and I am not sure of the heat tolerance of the people who will be eating my food.

(As an aside, I feel uniquely suited to this thread, having mostly grown up in New England, where oyster crackers are common, spent 17 years in Indonesia, and another 5 and a half in Egypt.)