Cummingtonite?

A friend sent me this wikipedia article the other day. It had me in stitches so I was trying to find somewhere that I could buy a small amount to give her as a gift (i have no idea what the retail value of this stuff is).

The thing is I can’t find anywhere on the web that sells retail cummingtonite. Can you dopers point me in the right direction?
Counting down until this thread gets dragged into the gutter and banished to MPSIMS in 5…4…3… :smiley:

Sir (or Madam) you are an arsole :wink:

Lemme fix that link for you.

Sir, you are an angel

Let me fix that forum for you. :slight_smile:

Moved. samclem

Well, one problem, and the Wiki cite backs up my geology book on this, is that cummingtonite is an asbestos and is probably restricted due to health reasons.

Actually, I was going to save myself for tomorrow night…

Ah yes. Thank you Ludovic. I probably should have picked up on that.

In its natural form, it shouldn’t present a health risk. According to my rock book, this form is only of interest to scientists and rock collectors. Check your local rock shops. Here’s a link to the Woolly Mammoth Rock Shop and Museum, my own very favorite. They have a bit of everything. E-mail them and ask. If they won’t ship it to you, I might be able to help you, if you’re willing to pay for the rock and postage.

Thanks a lot picnurse! I emailed them just now. I’ll be sure to follow up with you if they can’t help.

I’m a geology student, and I’m pretty sure I have some. I remember laughing at the name (under my breath, of course) when my prof first told us what the mineral was. I’d send you some, but it is in a metamorphosed rock and isn’t easily identifiable or separated.

My e-mail addy is in my profile. Be sure to put SDMB in the title so I don’t dump it as spam.
Good luck.