Cure what ails me with 1 magic ingredient!

Sudafed. The kind you need to sign for, behind the pharmacy counter. Not the ones on the shelf. It’ll fix you right up!

I agree, although I wouldn’t suggest putting it in the tea.

On the suggestion of an acquaintance, once I tried milk cooked with black pepper and turmeric to clear up congestion. It didn’t taste as bad as it sounds. I’m not sure if it worked more than any other hot drink, though.

Bayer brand Heroin.

Rgas Melnais Balzms. Riga Black Balsam - Wikipedia

Sorry, on Tapatalk and can’t figure out how to edit. Tried to use special charachters, but no go.

Plenty of chopped fresh mint. Inhale DEEPLY as you sip.

Hot buttered bhang.

Two things to go along with whatever tea you’re making;

After boiling the kettle pour boiling water into a mug with 1/2 tsp of Tigerbalm/Vick’s. Spend two minutes directly inhaling the fumes, through your mouth and your nose. Only takes a couple of minutes to before the water cools.

Reboil the water for your tea so it’s good and hot. When it’s ready, drink it perhaps a titch hotter than normally. About as hot as you can stand, is what you’re aiming for. Now, when drinking your tea, take a big mouthful, and just hold it in your mouth for half a minute or so. Do this with every gulp of your tea.

If you do both of these things back to back, you’re sure to get some instant relief. And, you can repeat as required throughout the day and evening!

(If it were I, gargling with warm salt water a couple times a day would also get thrown into the mix, in the event current symptoms are the precursor to getting cold or flu, etc!)

Good Luck !

2 parts coltsfoot
2 parts mullein
1 part yerba santa
1 part skullcap
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp grated ginger root

steep in hot water for ~ 8 minutes, sweeten with molasses or brown sugar

Don’t have any bourbon in the house but will try this next time I can get to the store

[QUOTE
On the suggestion of an acquaintance, once I tried milk cooked with black pepper and turmeric to clear up congestion. It didn’t taste as bad as it sounds. I’m not sure if it worked more than any other hot drink, though.[/QUOTE]

I have these ingredients in my cupboard, so I can try this. The pepper seems like it would loosen things up, and turmeric has healing properties, so who knows?

That’s a solid “maybe”.

If masturbation is clearing one’s sinuses, one may have their fingers in the wrong orifices.

I hear the iced tea from Long Island is good for relieving pain.

It likely won’t fix anything, but after a couple you just won’t give a shit.

Not a single ingredient and it’ll be fucking awful in tea ( but OK with it), but a nice steaming bowl of hot and sour soup from your local Chinese Food place will open your sinuses almost as well as tear gas. (I’ve had both, the hot and sour soup is much better; also, having a head cold on the day you do the gas hut in basic training is nasty and messy.) :smiley:

Am I an evil person to think “if you were being waterboarded your congestion would be the least of your problems.”

I probably am. Any other Dopers attend Evil meetings?

Also I drink lemon and ginger tea with honey when I feel congested. I’m not sure it actually helps but it tastes nice and it makes me sit down and relax a bit.

Evil? Not me! That’s why I’m posting to say that most of those remedies (bourbon, ginger, lemon,etc.) work even better if you use them in the neti pot…

I speak from experience. If masturbation (or orgasm in general) clears congestion, especially stopped up ears, you need to have your adenoids removed. Blood rushes from engorged parts of the body, including women’s bits right after orgasm, and it leaves inflamed adenoids and tonsils, although adenoids are causing most of the congestion. Tonsils cause throat pain, and sometimes breathing problems when sleeping, but congestion, especially of the ears, is usually the adenoids.

I used to have terrible trouble with my ears stopping up. It would happen on car rides through the mountains. It’d be be so bad on plane rides it lasted for days, and it was because of chronic inflammation. I was popping my ears so often, people probably thought I had a tic. An ENT yanked my tonsils and adenoids, and it was a tough recovery, I won’t lie (lots of nerve ending in the throat and base of the tongue) but I’d do it again in a second.

See an ENT.

Meanwhile, sniff some Vap-O-Rub.

Said it before and I’ll say it again…speed. Like real, actual speed, amphetamines. Thems’ll clear you right up.
Back in college when I started taking Adderall, the first time I had a cold I was a bit worried about the combination of being sped up AND feeling like crap. Turns out that about 10 minutes after taking my meds, I cleared right up. Some poking around online led me to some websites that mentioned that amphetamines also act as nasal decongestants.

Now, assuming you can’t get your hands on any amphetamines, how about some (real) Pseudophed. That usually works for me.
If you’ve tried it and it didn’t work or you’re against meds, that’s one thing, but, for me personally, I always go for the meds first, they usually work, work fast and work for a while. Same reason I wonder why people spend all this time trying to figure out ways to fix their sore throat when tylenol works just fine.

ETA, my doc in college WAY over prescribed the Adderall. Like, I had thousands (literally) of pills left. I kept them around just for when I have colds.