Curious what a "Ultimate Emergency Food Storage Kit" for 1 person for 1 year looks like?

Here you go! From Sam’s Club. There are a few other kits as well. Apparently the target cohort of SHTF Preppers is large enough for an entire product line.

If you just want to be safe for a month 99 bucks will cover you!
Augason Farms Food Storage Emergency All-in-One Pail (30 days, 1 person)

One Year of hearty eating below!

Augason Farms Ultimate Emergency Food Storage Kit (1 year, 1 person)

Thank you for using the correct spelling of “hearty.”

My grandmother, Og love her, used to re-use the Mason lids (the rubber ring dealies). When we’d visit (every other summer), we’d have to throw out several dozen jars of food from her root (pronounced “rut”) cellar. Somehow, the wax for preserves/jellies didn’t work too often, either.

How about a limerick?:

A canner, exceedingly canny
One morning remarked to his Granny:
A canner can can
Anything that he can
But a canner can’t can a can, can he?

1700 calories a day may be adequate for a sedentary women, but for men, teens, and people in a survival situation requiring any sort of manual work or exertion that will fall short.

Better buy two, right? :wink:

I like the way that if you buy the 4 person-year order in the smaller cans, you can make a neat little fort.

I wonder if instructions mention that you can make an emergency toilet out of one of the empty buckets, a hefty bag, and some cat litter? You’d think that would be a selling point for survivalists.

Or maybe they’re like the chuckleheads out at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge who bring guns but forget food - hey, send them a brochure! They might have use for dehydrated mac and cheese and potato flakes! (And they can have those gummy penises someone sent for desert)

Anyhow, it seems characteristic of survivalist types that they forget one or another essential in their planning.

Good lord, I want a giant bucket of ‘food’.

Actually, that apple pie looks pretty tasty.

I expect it’s a lot like the freeze-dried food I ate when I used to go backpacking. It’s not bad. Not wonderful, but you can eat it, if you’re hungry enough you’ll even enjoy it, and it will keep you going in a crisis.

I’m skeptical of any year-old taco salad with a dollop of sour cream on top.

Oh, man, I can’t wait to try some Morning Moo’s Low Fat Milk Alternative.

I can’t figure out the “7,690 total servings” in a one year’s supply of food. I know some people binge eat in stress situations like the end of the world, but 21 times a day? Did someone do their math wrong?

Maybe counting by food groups?
1serving meat
1serving grains
1 serving fruit
= 3 servings.
So one meal could have as many as seven servings.

In their lingo, a serving does not equal a meal. It says, “7690 servings to create 1,095 complete meals.”

Do people spell ‘hearty’ differently? I’ve never seen another spelling. :confused:

Probably should have said “usage.” Seen “Party hardy” too many times.

SHTF Preppers lonely heart(y) schlubs plan?

If you were ever in a situation where having food stored turned out to matter, I assure you that you would find these products delicious. I keep a couple weeks worth of canned and dried food on hand and just use/replace as part of regular eating and shopping. A one year supply sounds nice, but I prefer stuff that doesn’t taste like backpacker rations unless I am actually backpacing, and these products don’t look like things I would work into daily menus.

Entire product line? It’s a whole retail industry unto itself, and there are various companies that sell only this kind of food.

Somehow I got on the mailing list for one (Emergency Essentials), so every month I can browse through page after page of sales on freeze dried products that all come in the same orange-labeled packages, in huge quantities.

Not surprisingly, they’re based in Utah.

One chef’s Youtube review.

The consensus of opinion in the survivalist community is that this would not last a year.

It would be better to design your own storage kit by testing each of the foods and see what you like and buying the number of cans of each product accordingly (buying the kit you are likely to go through certain products very rapidly and other products very slowly).

If you don’t go for the premade stuff like the instant beef stew, or instant chicken a la king and get ‘ingredients’ like legumes, grains, plain dehydrated fruits and veggies, herbs/spices, and select dehydrated and canned dairy [powdered milk, dried or canned butter and cheese, dried cheese powder] and dehydrated meat [I like the dehydrated chicken, we use it both as cat treats and to add to soups the beef chunks are adequate but nothing special.] You can process the grains into flour for baking [breads, pie crust, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, crepes and so forth. I buy my yeast by the pound but one pack of yeast is all you need if you decide to take it and go the sourdough route.] You can make most of the soups and stews that they sell premade with the legumes, veggies and dried or canned meats and end up with a better tasting product.

Honestly? We used to stockpile [and will again when we are back in our house] dried legumes of various types, cans of various forms of tomatoes, canned veggies of certain types, home canned foods [jams, veggies, fruits, pickles] and grains [rice, barley, hata mugo/jacobs tears, buckwheat and staples like sugar, coffee, tea, salt, baking soda and powder, and cycle them through our menus. Both of us have midwestern farmer mothers who went through the Depression so despite being raised in affluence, we value being able to survive without having to go shopping in a pinch. Back in the early 90s when I was sidelined for several months with pneumonia preventing me from being able to drive the stockpiling saved our cookies when mrAru deployed for 5 months [the roomie of the time didn’t drive so if I wasn’t coherent enough to drive, we didn’t go anywhere.]