Curious

Is Contestant #3 in reality a demented ELIZA program designed to drive us insane?

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
Hunter Thompson

If he is, the creators should be congratulated on their ability to integrate e-mail as well. He has sent me 3 whiny, childish e-mails (this, of course, in addition to the whiny, childish posts here). The first two contained continued lies from posts in the first thread in which I encountered him (I kept asking why he felt it necessary to lie in a private message – at least lying in public might get him some “debating points” – but he never answered), and he tried to denigrate me and an organization with which I am associated (you may have noticed that he continues to do that in messages here). In the most recent one, which I just received a little while ago, he spent most of it gloating because he responded to me in a thread and thought that he showed me up – he said I looked silly, indicated that he was making me lose credibility because he was so much better than me at “one-upping,” and said he would beat me in a battle of wits.

All in all, if it’s a computer program, I’d say it’s made it to about the age of 13. Heck, even if it’s not…

“It’s a very dangerous thing to believe in nonsense.” – James Randi

David - You are undoubtedly one of the most intelligent and thoughtful poster among us. It is because of this that I wonder why you continue to take Connie so seriously. You’ve always got the facts and logic on your side but these are of no use in a realm in which Connie is supreme; nay-saying and obfuscation? It does give the impression that he can “get your goat” anytime he pleases. It’s silly to use logic when arguing against someone who is incapable of recognizing it.

No advice. Just some observations.

PapaBear,

Thanks for your compliments. I do admit that I have a failing of taking some people seriously who do not deserve such attention. In fact, I have a friend who points this out to me frequently. :slight_smile:

The problem with people like Contestant #3 is that they will continue to argue their points no matter what the facts say, and no matter how you respond, they will act as if they have won. If you choose to try to ignore them, they will proclaim victory, saying you couldn’t answer their points; while it is easy enough to say, “Let them have their claims,” there are people out there reading these messages who may also tend to think that a point unanswered is a point won. When I respond to C3, it is really those people to whom I am responding. I do not believe I can convert C3 from irrationality and illogic; he has shown that to be improbable, at best. But nor will I let him get away with his little tricks (such as jumping ship from one thread on a topic because he was getting nailed and then starting a new thread on almost the same topic in hopes that any new readers wouldn’t know how he had acted in the first thread). I’ve dealt with many people like him before, and there is still a part of me that agrees with you – I shouldn’t even bother replying. Sometimes I don’t, when it is obvious there is nothing I can add to help in the discussion. Sometimes I do, when I think a point needs to be made or countered. And, in all honesty, sometimes I do when I shouldn’t. :slight_smile:

“It’s a very dangerous thing to believe in nonsense.” – James Randi

I’d like to suggest that you take this to the BBQ Pit, for ad hominem attacks… si?

Sorry for poor joke in wrong area. Close thread if you think it is necessary. My humble apologies. I grovel at your feet. I bow before your great wisdom. I am but a worm. I am not worthy. I am not worthy. I am not worthy.

How about-an albino lesbian eskimo nun, a jewish sperm whale and Contestant #3 walked into a bar when…
Maybe not.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
Hunter Thompson