Current Wikipedia article on the 1990 hit "The Humpty Dance" ...

“…may not meet the formal tone used on Wikipedia”, so it is likely to be edited or removed in short order.

It would be a shame to lose it to the bit bucket, so I took a screen cap of the synopsis.

For those unfamiliar with this silly, classic hip-hop mega-hit from 1990, here’s the YouTube video of The Humpty Dance by the Digital Underground.

If the tone of the article is not formal enough for the material, what do they want, a flow chart?!

Moved MPSIMS --> Cafe Society.

If it’s not already documented at Know Your Meme or Wiki article on “Know Your Meme” (I haven’t even checked myself) perhaps you could do it yourself or urge those guys to add it to their archives.

Cute. Needs a good bit of editing and it’s not exactly a “synopsis,” but reasonable effort.

That was a day well spent, whoever wrote that! :smiley:

Wikipedia archives all of its own edits. At the top of the page, click on “View History”. Scroll down to the “01:51, 10 May 2011” edit date, click it.

Digital Underground were ahead of their time.

That song comes on today and I still can’t help myself…I limp to the side like my leg was broken, shakin and twitchin kinda like I was smokin!

In fact time has yet to really dovetail back in with them.

Around 1988-1991 there was a whimsical side to hip-hop that was cresting: the Digital Underground (“Humpty Dance”, “Dowhatchalike”), Naughty By Nature (“O.P.P.”), Sir Mix-a-lot (“Baby Got Back”), Tone Loc (“Funky Cold Medina”), Young MC (“Bust A Move”)… Other seminal songs like “Rapper’s Delight” by the Sugarhill Gang or “Jam On It” by Newcleus had more than a few smile inducing lines as well.

Then Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, etc., took over and for a long time, rap was (is?) mostly dominated by gangsta style lyrics. The most recent hip-hop/R&B hits I can think of that made me laugh or smile (not counting the pained eye-rolling type) would be, hm, maybe Eminem’s “Just Lose It” and Shaggy’s “It Wasn’t Me” (which I’m SURE was one big reference to the Eddie Murphy standup routine from the 1980s).