Curse you, bank!

In the OP’s case, the freezing of the account (if I read it right) incurred late fees from third parties who were expecting payments to be made from the OP’s bank account. IOW, the bank didn’t make from this at all.

You can get a replacement, you know. Typo Knig had misplaced his, and needed it for a new job, as it’s one of the pieces of ID they request to prove you’re legal to work in the US. A passport may well do in its place which may be why you haven’t had problems.

This is why I lamenated mine after it started showing some wear. I didn’t want to go through getting another one and it helps it from getting wet or damaged.

Did the SIN start with a nine?

Nope. And the card is durable plastic.

Gotta be careful with that. Some places of work refuse to accept a laminated card.

Damn right! Businesses trying to make money and shit . . . how dare they?

The Social Security website tells you not to do that.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/624/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMjk4NjA2MjcyL3NpZC9BcTdORnRuaw%3D%3D

Apparently it also says not to carry it in your wallet where it can get pickpocketed. :slight_smile:

I think I hear your mommy calling…run along now.

If you can’t make money and still treat people properly, then you don’t need to be making money. Because, guess what? Your money comes from those people you treat like shit. The “free market” you love so much is specifically designed for that, even if it doesn’t always work like it should.

And, BTW, there’s no reason a bank needs to make money, at least in the form of a true profit. U.S. credit unions are not-for-profit and provide the same functions as banks, and often can do it cheaper. They definitely can do it without treating people poorly, or people wouldn’t keep recommending them.

And, yes, I’m aware that a not-for-profit company technically makes a profit, but I don’t call that a true profit when it is used entirely for keeping the operation solvent. It’s just a minor surplus that allows for loans and stuff.

It’s a bit strange. My SSN card says right on the back not to laminate it. However, it doesn’t have any security features that I can detect.

My wife had to get hers replaced recently. It has some color shifting ink on the front and microprinting around the edges.
Doesn’t say anything about not laminating it on the back though.

My bank sent me a letter last Wednesday saying my house payment was going up 200 bucks. The next day I got the same letter saying it was going up 400 . I called them and after fighting through several people, I got a guy to talk to, he said forget about it, the payment is not going up . He said one department does not know what the other is doing.

Why am I still nervous about it?

Yeesh!!

What was the reasoning behind the notices? Variable rate loan? or escrow changes?

Because your house is probably currently in foreclosure, with papers signed by someone paid to sign 900 documents an hour, by a bank that you’ve never heard of that bought your mortgage from a different bank, who bought it from a redistributor.

I hear that you should take your own sleeping bag to the shelter, if possible. Bedbugs.

You can get a replacement card by mail, although it takes a while and you have to cross your fingers since the SSA only accepts original documents or certified copies for ID purposes…