CVS plans to stop selling tobacco

Nanny state? Do you have any clue how fucking stupid that post is? A business making a business decision as to what products they choose to carry is the polar opposite of the nanny state.

More pertinent to this thread is that CVS-Caremark is a Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) business with retail stores attached. The retail stores are sometimes the size of American supermarkets and sell a variety of goods and are also often delivering health care in a walk-in clinic acute care setting. (From my POV those walk-in clinics give a low and fragmented level of health care but they and their ilk are significant parts of today’s health care delivery landscape.)

While a significant amount of floor space in the stores as may be devoted to non-health care related products (greeting cards, food, shampoos, make-up, toys, etc.) those products are a small and decreasing fraction of the company’s revenues. The growth side is in PBM and retail clinics. They have made the bet that doing this so visibly will help them make better deals and grow faster in the portion of their business that is expanding. Not a bad bet.

It can be a gray area. What if a private insurance company decided they weren’t going to cover birth control? We’ve seen how well that goes over.

If the government steps in and tells CVS that they have to start carrying tobacco, you might have an argument.

I’m not aware of insurers companies refusing to cover birth control. I’ve seen employers who don’t want their company insurance plans to cover birth control and state governments who want to restrict birth control coverage. Those are both very different from this example.

I don’t see the problem with combining healthcare and cigs. Isn’t that called a synergy? Like hospitals with on campus fast food restaurants.

It sounds like you haven’t shopped at Walgreens in a long while. They have not only adopted a loyalty program, but taken it to extremes. You can’t buy anything at any reduced price (not even clearance items) in the US without a Balance Rewards card.

Personally, I shopped at Walgreens a lot. They used to have great deals before the Balance Rewards if you shopped the specials and promotions. When they adopted the BR, prices shot up and killer deals dried up in addition to the insult of having to be tracked by their their loyalty program and waiting in line as people peck in their phone numbers on the pads so they can get sale prices.

No. Stores with pharmacies in them sell cigarettes.

It’s better than gas stations selling cigarettes, I’d think. At least pills don’t explode if you smoke near them.

What a concept that would be!

My sides have transcended into another plane of existence.

It would be interesting to see how much of the decline in smoking has come from banishing smokers from smoking inside offices and restaurants. I suspect the people who smoke at work smoke a lot less than they would if they could do it at their desks.

It is a publicity stunt, and it’s brilliant.

Selling tobacco products does conflict with their plans to morph into a healthcare provider, true. But the bigger obstacle to their success as a healthcare provider is the perception of the buying public–to me, CVS was a place where I might pick up some soap and a candy bar, not a place where I’d go to get a health-related service.

But ditching tobacco gets them in the news, and gives them an unprecedented opportunity to loudly proclaim “come to us for health services,” and to do it on legitimate news programs instead of commercials that we’ll likely tune out or fast-forward through. I, as a consumer, am now aware that CVS offers a lot of stuff I wasn’t aware of. Well-played CVS!

It seems to be a good business decision, and it’s good for people’s health, so it’s really a win-win all around.

Never assume PSXer is serious.