Cyclists: What do you know about Motobecane?

I’m looking for a new bike and am willing to spend $2000-$3000. I have a couple of Cannondale 6-13’s in mind but I don’t love them because the components are a bit week for the price.

I’ve always liked the look/geometry of the Motobecane but it’s hard to find good information in the world wide sandbox about this bike that isn’t anecdotal. For reasons I’m not entirely certain of, it doesn’t seem to get much attention.

Still, I’m considering:

Le Champion Ten

Immortal Force

and, though I’m not a big fan of compact frame geometry:

Century Team

Finally, for my triathlon aspirations, the very sexy:

Nemesis

Although, if I slap on a pair of aerobars on the Immortal Force, it would be fine serving double duty as a race day bike as well.

I’ve read, in the little information I’ve been able to scrounge up, that though the Motobecane componentry is very good for the price point, the frames are not as refined as some of the bigger brand names. I’m trying to understand what that means. All the right combinations are there. Light aluminum and carbon fiber forks and stays are the construction materials. The bikes are very light at a little over 16lb. I am a strong rider and flex in the frame is one of my main concerns.

So anybody have any experience with this manufacturer?

:slight_smile:

I bought one 30 years ago, with double butted main tubes. I loved it.

I don’t think it’s the same company it was then.

I believe that’s true. Back then it was a French company which is now called MBK. “Motobecane” was sold to a U.S. bike manufacturer.

I owned two of them quite a while ago. I always thought they went bankrupt.

Maybe so but they’re back now, as a US incarnation.

Still would love to know if the frames are reliable. Motobecane provides a lifetime warranty, which would indicate that they should be pretty good. Yes?

<also, bump!>

I really have no idea as to the answer to your question, but if you’re willing to drop that kind of money, why not go for the Cannondale? They may be kind of common, but they’re very well regarded.

That may be exactly what I’m going to end up doing. I’ve added a Specialized Tarmac Pro to my list. I’ll be taking it out for a test ride this week.

I contacted Motobecane and they sent me back a form letter with hot links (which didn’t work!) to online dealers I don’t really know. :dubious: I asked them for information about their bikes given my riding style/experience and they responded that I should visit a local bike shop and ask them to contact Motobecane - in other words, they want me to shill for them. :dubious:

Nervie little outfit! :mad:

You can’t test ride it, and you can’t buy it through an LBS? Doesn’t seem worth the gamble to save a few bucks.

And that Specialized is mighty purty.

That’s the reason that Motobecane have a bad reputation. They are more or less the Huffy of the decent bike world. Everything is done on an anonymous production line with evertything built on price, not rider needs. And a lifetime frame warranty? That’s pretty much standard on any bike costing over $300.

I don’t know where you live, but in general you’re much better going into a decent bike shop and telling them your needs and budget.

FWIW, here’s my bike :smiley:

Nice! :slight_smile:

Very very nice, actually!

My favourite bike shop in the area also carries Serotta. I wish I was a begger fan of the compact geometry. But I must admit, with the Specialized Tarmac and your Serotta, it’s beginning to grow on me. :smiley:

Is your bike a stiff climber? How’s the flex? Acceleration? I’m a pretty aggressive rider and am just coming back to road from years of mountain/trail riding.

It’s very very difficult to describe how the bike feels. It’s kind of like driving a Ferrari (not that I know about Ferraris). I’m carrying a spre tire myself these days, but it flys uphills, with vitually no flex. Take it through a corner at spped and the rear wheel sticks to the road like a limpet (the rear stays have around ½" of suspension built in. On the flat, it’s just smooth, smooth, smmoth. I guess that’s mainly due to the carbon steerer. It’s just beautiful.

Isn’t that what you put on road rash to make it feel better?

<swing and a miss>

One of these days I’ll graduate to a road bike, in the meantime my Giant aluminum mountainbike with slicks will have to do. :frowning:

I did that for some time as well but I got tired of getting dropped by lesser riders on lighter, faster bikes. :frowning:

:smiley:

I know the feeling. I’ve had a couple of bikes through the years that made me feel the same every time I even looked at them.