Cylon voice

Does anyone know how they created the cylon voice in Battlestar Gallactica?
I would assume that they used a vocoder but am not sure.

They spoke monotone into a running fan :slight_smile:

Try it!

I’m sure it was a vocoder. http://user.dls.net/~rick/callisto/multi/sounds.htm]Listen to some cylons.

Grrrrrrrrrr…link fixed here.

I don’t really know, but I think Q.E.D. has it right.

When I was a kid they sold toy Cylon helmets that included voice distortion apparatus. IIRC, the cheapies just had fixed mechanical echo chambers, but the good ones had electronic vocoders.

Again, we’re working on my memory, but I seem to recall that the electronic ones ate batteries like candy.

Man, I loved that show when I was a kid.

Damnit, I’m wrong.

Upon further relection, the good ones just had an LED that would oscillate back and forth across the viewslit, creating that cool “red scanner” effect. You couldn’t see anything out of those things.

I want to be a little kid again.

Does anybody know:

a) If there exists a software that can turn a PC into a REAL-TIME vocoder. (repeat: REALTIME)

b) If the answer is yes, is there a free version somewhere, and where.

I’ve performed a couple of searches, but the only free software that I’ve managed to download was not realtime.

Here you go, ChaosGod. There is a demo version, and you can register for the full version if you chose. I played with it a bit, and it’s a bit complicated, but the Help is decent.

Q.E.D -> Awsome! Thanx!

Yep, it was a vocoder. I found the exact model with a photo of it here. It was manufactured by Sennheiser:

[sub](Bolding is mine.)[/sub]