Daisy Jones & The Six

Is anyone watching this on Prime? I just finished the first 3 episodes. It looks like they will be dropping an episode every Friday.

I love it. I love the era - clothes, music, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I’d never heard of it, but will give it a watch. Sounds interesting.

I’ve watched the first three as well. I’ll keep watching as I too am a sucker for anything 70s related; however, the show is not exactly reinventing the wheel for me. The pacing is a bit awkward; episode two went through so much stuff that it practically gave me whiplash. Episode three improved on it though, so hopefully the story will develop better from here.

I watched the preview and the original music sounded kinda blah for the era. Then I found this page with the licensed songs that are sprinkled in and they’re all mostly awesome. I’m wondering how easy it is to root for a band who’s music is so uninteresting.

Amazon Prime has definitely been advertising the heck out of this show when I watch something else. The advertisements haven’t been blowing my mind, though.

I agree. My favorite so far is Have Love Will Travel by the Sonics. I heard that song for the first time a while back on a car commercial and immediately put it on my play list. Not sure why I hadn’t heard it before.

I love the Sonics, but to be fair, they were like the tenth band to actually record that song. It was written and originally recorded by Richard Berry who also wrote another song that proved popular with white garage bands in the Pacific Northwest; “Louie, Louie”.

The garage band scene in the first episode really brought back memories of my time as a lyricist and wanna-be bass player in the early 70s. Their setup was much too clean though…when our band got together the garage was full of mismatched amps, home made speaker cabinets and cables snaking everywhere across the floor.

So I watched the first three episodes and it’s just one 60s-70s Rock band cliche after another. The performances are good, and the lead is a better actress than either of her grandparents (Elvis and Pricilla Presley). But, yeah, nothing here that Tom Hanks didn’t do better and in less time with That Thing You Do.

I watched eps 4 and 5 and I honestly don’t know why I’m sticking with it. The writing is like a Rolling Stone Magazine edition of Mad Libs.

I stuck it out to the end. Nothing happened in the subsequent 9 episodes that you couldn’t have predicted from the first…or even the trailer.

I watched all the way to the end as well. The show was ultimately disappointing overall, but I will say that the final episode was the best one of the series. The finale had a freewheeling style that was unique to it; if they had the chance to do it over again, they should have used this for the whole show.

Am I the only one on Team Eddie? I think he deserved a better “what happened after”.

Eh, Eddie could be a little bit of a jerk. He seemed like he constantly thought he was destined for greater things when the series sort of seemed to be trying to communicate that he wasn’t.

Warren was my favorite character; he was the guy who just wanted to have fun. He realized that the band had hit the lottery and he wanted to simply enjoy the ride.

I just started watching it. Having been in a band in London during that era, the music biz atmosphere seems rather familiar.

Wondering who this is based on though. I’m sort of thinking Jefferson Airplane, with Daisy as Grace Slick and Dunn as, probably Marty Balin, or a mix of him and Paul Kantner? But I’m only up to episode 3 so far.

Of couse the songs seems a bit sub-par… it’s an eternal problem. How do you make a show about a world class band without great new songs? Rather like the science fiction problem of presenting a character who is much more intelligent than you, the author…

It felt to me like it was Fleetwood Mac. The late-comer female lead singer, the sexual tension between the leads, Daisy’s stage presence, etc.

The drummer who married the movie starlet and was just grateful for the opportunity was clearly a Ringo inspiration and the little brother in the shadows was probably modeled on Dave Davies. There’s probably a specific analog for the resentful bass player, but that’s a deep bench. The rest were pretty much a Fleetwood Mac parallel.

Yes, that might be a better parallel. They even had a female key player, who never got to center stage (as in Christine McVie)?

Well, I haven’t watched the rest, so no spoilers… it does hold my interest though.