Damn Europlugs

I’m currently working in Eastern Europe. I have had so many problems with having my phone chargers work with the Europlugs and receptacles. I have both “native” chargers and US chargers used with an adapter.

Sometimes the two prongs don’t line up with the receptacles. If they do, they often are so loose they fall out. Sometimes I need to jiggle the plug just right so that contact is made. I bought one charger that is just a but too wide to fit in many of my house’s receptacle, but works in others.

The prongs themselves are very long and have a non-conductive portion that is not very strong. As a result I broke a prong of a charger I had in my pocket when I slipped on ice.

I know there are design considerations of dealing with 220 vs 110, but surely they could have come up with something more robust and interoperable than this POS.

I travel in Europe and the UK frequently and have never had problems using adaptors for my device chargers. Are you getting them from reputable manufacturers or some dude on a street corner liquidating a former Soviet warehouse?

Both :slight_smile: But I don’t know if it’s the plugs themselves as much as the receptacles. The design seems to require a level of precision in order to accept the plug and provide enough friction to hold it securely. Some receptacles have springy gizmo’s to hold onto a circular plug, but not all plugs are circular. A case in point is the Samsung adapter.

Fair enough. I have no problem imagining that old and poor-quality receptacles may be rampant in much of Eastern Europe.

They aren’t for holding onto the plug, they’re ground. See Plug & socket types in most of Europe, you’ll find type C or F. You might find round plugs which aren’t grounded, and they will only fit in a type C socket, not in a type F.

And if you have issues with the plug falling out of the socket, it’s not due to the design. It’s due to poor product quality. I’ve had more issues with loose plugs with type A plugs/sockets than I’ve had with type C or F.

Great site. It’s type C that are rampant here in Georgia. Any problems I’ve had with type A plugs is usually fixed by a gentle bending of the prongs. Not possible with the type C

I’m in an old house here, but I’ve lived in houses in the US with older wiring and never had similar problems.

I strongly prefer type C/F. There’s less risk of “hot” prongs being accessible, as the socket isn’t flat. With the flat type A socket there’s always a risk that the plug isn’t fully inserted, but the prongs still make contact. Add some lint, or cat hair, or whatever, and the risk of a short and a fire definitely is there. There’s also the advantage that - with the exception of the flat Europlug - it’s physically impossible to stick an ungrounded plug into a grounded socket. The round type C plug can’t enter a type F socket, while the grounded type F plug can enter a type C socket. Which means that ungrounded gizmos can’t be plugged in at a place where safety demands that you use a grounded gizmo.

And if I’d have to wiggle the plug to get the prongs to make contact inside the socket, I’d also worry about a fire risk. Poor/intermittent contact can easily lead to sparks and overheating.

And the scorch marks on the receptacle show that is a danger. So two receptacles that are two loose, one that has bad contact, and another where the holes are too close together to accept my charger. I’m sure the product quality is not good, but a good design should allow for that as well as age gracefully.

I’ve never had similar problems in the US.

you’re forgetting rule #1: everything done in the US is dumb and wrong and everything done everywhere else is automatically better. If you have problems with something in another country, the problem is automatically you.

Please show me where that has been even alluded to.

No matter the quality of the design, if the workmanship is shoddy or there is too much wear, anything will quit working properly.

But since jz78817 seems to be hell-bent on derailing a - until now - fairly civilized and rational discussion by building ginormous strawmen, I think this will be my last post in the thread.

Note to self: there really isn’t much point in trying to reply rationally in a Pit thread.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and post the link to different types of plugs.

IME, one of the differences between types C and F is precisely which types of problems are they likely to have:

type C is more likely to be loose. Often, a type C jack isn’t really type C, it’s an older type whose prongs were actually a liiiiittle bit smaller, so they wiggle off any jill that’s vertical (please insert obvious jokes here). OTOH, type F can be a bloody pain to get in, you need the right position and angle of attack (and boy are the jokes writing themselves today).

My bold. I’ve never in my life had a non-grounded appliance with round euro plugs (C, I guess) that didn’t fit into a grounded inlet (F).

Fitting the plugs into the inlet can be difficult. Usually a little bit of jiggling or gently bending the plugs outwards a bit helps. Once in a while it’s bloody impossible and the best course of action is to try a different inlet.

Since it seems as if the thread is still on its rails, I’ll make a liar out of myself and come back despite my previous post.

Which country are you in? IME Type C and type F have the same diameter, but while round type C plugs have a smooth circular profile, type F plugs have cutouts to accommodate the ridges on the inside of the type F socket, and the ground prongs in the socket. As I said, (admittedly IME) it’s physically impossible to stick a round type C plug into a type F socket (albeit I’ll concede that it may be possible using sufficient - IOW destructive - force). The flat europlug, however, fits straight into a type F socket even though it isn’t grounded.

OTOH, AFAIK the flat europlug is rated for a much lower current (2A IIRC) than the type F plug. My sockets are all on 16A fuses, whether they are type C without ground or they are grounded type F, and AFAIK there’s no 2A limit on the round type C plugs.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

To be fair, there’s absolutely no reason why every wealthy country shouldn’t have adopted something like the UK’s three-pin “Type G” socket/plug system.

Stepping on a UK plug in bare feet is the only thing more painful than stepping on Lego.

Those things are so big they count as a weapon.

Sorry, but … do you have an older phone? A non-cell phone? I thought all modern cell phones follow the USB-Standard, so they plug in either a wall outlet or a Computer USB for charging, precisly to avoid the early Problem of each Company having their own brick charger with propariaty plugs, and thus the EU law to force manufacturers to avoid waste and be compatible.

Not sure what you mean. You can’t pug a USB cable directly into a wall receptacle . I have a modern smartphone with a minI USB connection that I pug into a charger that plugs into the wall receptacle. Problem is that my charger either doesn’t fit or slips out of the receptacles.

Well, yes and no. Originally, one part of the USB cable plugs into the phone, the other end into the Computer or into a plug that fits into the wall socket.

But some stores now sell multi-sockets with USB, e.g. Request Rejected or revolt USB Steckerleiste: 5-fach-Tisch-Steckdosenleiste mit 2 USB-Ports, auch zur Wandmontage (Steckdosenleiste Tischmontage)

For new sockets, you can install a socket for plugs and USB like this revolt Unterputzsteckdose: 2in1-Unterputz-Steckdose mit 2-fach-USB-Netzteil, 2,1 Ampere (USB Unterputzsteckdose)

But I meant: if the cable has an USB plug on one end, and the wall sockets are giving you Problems, why not plug the USB directly into your Computer for charging and avoid the Problems with the wall socket?