"Damn" in a job interview: dealbreaker?

I find it odd that something so trivial might be considered to be a dealbreaker for a professional-level position, unless it were for kindergarten teacher or minister in a particularly uptight denomination. As an interviewer I’m certain I would scarcely notice such a thing, and would be fairly likely to the word myself.

Wow, I’m amazed that no one cares about this. There is a world of difference between what is acceptable language, behavior, etc., at a JOB INTERVIEW and what is acceptable at that same job later on. When you are:

1. making a first impression
  2. do not know your audience
  3. want to demonstrate you have a working knowledge of general social etiquette and conventions,

you should not swear. That would be a strike against a candidate in the professional environments in which I’ve worked. If not a dealbreaker, it would certainly be notable. It’s just not professional. Once you get into the job and you know your audience, talk about goat felching at the watercooler, by all means. But in an interview…I’m surprised that people are going so far as to mock the OP rather than at least concede that it’s generally something that should be avoided.

None of us said that you should talk the same was in an interview as you would on the job. What we said was that the word “damn” doesn’t rise to that level except in some very specific situations.

I’ve had job interviews where I’m sure using a mild expletive would have cost me the position, no matter the context, and I’ve had interviews where it wouldn’t have been even noticed (I know this because I knew my interviewers well, at the company where I work, you go through the application and interview progress for every single position change, unless it’s just a change in position within the same team, so I’ve had a couple interviews where I knew everybody in the room really well and the interview was chock full of jocularity at the silliness of the process).

However, I’d never actually DO it, because I’m a professional, plus I wouldn’t want to run the risk of offending any prigs that might be on the panel. But, if I were an interviewer, and it was mild (damn or ass, basically) it definitely wouldn’t sway my decision either way.

If, however, they were dropping F-bombs or being extremely colorful in their language choices, that would make a difference. Not because I’d be offended, but because it’s just such a stupid thing to do in an interview. If they were highly qualified and there were no other candidates that fit the position as well, I’d let it pass, though. But they’d probably be warned to watch their language if the work unit they were being hired for was where that kind of language wouldn’t be taken well.

I’m with **Mishell ** on this one. Damn or ass in an interview - a little questionable but I can’t imagine basing a serious decision on it. Fuck or shit would be another matter, but *only * because it’s a worrisome indicator of their social acumen.

I bet you would if someone said “damn, you have a fine ass”.

True. But even more if they said “golly you have a fine buttocks.”

Rather than bring it up afterwards, it would have been better for gigi to respond immediately to the use of “damn” by smiling sweetly and saying “A gramme is better than a damn”.

That’ll give your candidate some incentive to take the job, if it’s offered. :slight_smile:

I’m amazed that there are still people out there who consider “damn” to be a swear word. I know enough not to curse at a job interview, but I don’t think it would ever occur to me to censor out “damn.”

I would be happy to not get hired by any place that would discourage me from saying “damn”. I mean, fuck, what kind of work environment would that be? Everybody crying all the time about what words you use… all sensitive n shit everytime you say something. Who wants to walk on eggshells all day?
I could understand not wanting employees to speak to clients with loads of profanity or something. But around coworkers?? Are office environments really that uptight?

BTW, I’m curious. When you say you’re ‘sensitive to this kind of thing’ is it because you’re easily offended? Or do you mean because you are a supervisor, you have to make sure employees dont use such language?

If its the former, why are you so sensitive? Why does it bother you?

I wonder if all of the bad language in this thread scared her away?

I think I used SNAFU or FUBAR in my last interview. Got the job. In fact, the interviewer actually did a little fishing to see if I was an HR wanker or someone who could take a joke. I didn’t mention that the last practical joke at my company involved Federal Marshalls. Didn’t seem to be a good time to talk about it.

Generally it isn’t a good idea to swear in an interview but if it slipped out I wouldn’t damn the person for it.

I put it in the same category as making a grammar slip. You want to make a great first impression when you’re doing an interview. While “damn” isn’t a big deal to most people, there’s always a chance that it will grate or offend. And therefore you try your hardest not to let it slip.

I guess Gigi doesn’t like ‘The Dam Busters’. :eek:

I once had an interviewer use the word (and others) repeatedly during the session.

Thinking he was trying to “draw me out”, I didn’t bite and kept my comments and replies “clean”.

Yeah, I wanna be on the “team”, but not as a sheep, okay?

Didn’t get the job, but my answer is don’t use it if you don’t need to (and with a prospective employer, you shouldn’t need to).

Save it for the water cooler gatherings once you’re hired.

Q

Unless it was in the context of “I usually don’t give a damn about showing up on time” I’d let it slide. Dropping F-bombs in the interview would be a deal breaker. Not because I’m sensitive or anything. It just shows a lack of common sense and judgement to blast out profanities when your interviewing in a client service business.

We joke around and swear all the time at work. The problem is that during the interview, you’re trying to figure out if the guy is a “work hard/play hard” type who knows when to be serious and when its ok to goof off or if the guy is a borish loudmouth who thinks that it’s “uptight” to not be cursing every two seconds.

That’s pretty uptight.

I would never work anywhere I couldn’t drop the “f-bomb” occasionally and other curses regularly. (I’m a mental health worker - believe me, if we couldn’t curse, we wouldn’t be able to do our jobs)

I definitely think “damn” is acceptable speech in a job interview. I mean, we are all adults, right? However, I would never drop the f-bomb in that context.

it’s an interview and depends on context. I swear as much as the next preacher’s kid, but can turn it off in an instant. for me, it could be one of the negatives when assessing a candidate. someone that can’t restrain from profanity in an hour long interview just might have some other issues I don’t want working for me. again, it does come down to context.

if it’s a front line customer facing position, I may not want someone that swears in an interview. if the customers are investment bank brokers, that interviewee better show he can talk fuck speak fluently.

anything at an interview that’s not appropriate goes in the negative column. too many nagatives and sayonara

I swear a lot, even in the office, so just hearing the word wouldn’t have me freaked. However, it would depend how it was said.

We interviewed a candidate once who swore a few times. He seemed to relish being a little saucy, pushing the envelope a bit, as if he was trying to see if we were in on his private, hip, insouciant worldview. It wasn’t the language that bothered me–I’d said worse plenty of times-- but I felt his way of using it signified something troublesome about his approach to the job or the office, or the way he was sizing us up. Like he was too cool for school and using coarse language in a witty, clever way was his way of letting us in on it–assuming we were cool enough.

If a word had just slipped out, I’d have likely laughed and liked him all the more for it. Maybe if he’d looked a little abashed, instead of expectant. But as it was, it felt calculated, and we read a lot into it–so we passed on him even though he was otherwise a really qualified candidate. I’d feel the same way about “damn”–it would hardly disturb me, unless the candidate seemed to be using it to provoke a reaction.