"Damn" in a job interview: dealbreaker?

well, I think it matters according to context. Child care worker for a Lutheran church, it matters. Coding software, not so much.

People are nervous in interviews. A mild expletive might be an example of that. If the candidate did well in all other aspects of the interview, I don’t think it should be a dealbreaker. To quote George Constanza, “He was being folksy!”

If it’s good enough for Clark Gable, it’s good enough for me.

Depends on the job and the context, neither of which the OP gave us. But as an interviewer, it wouldn’t matter at all.

Disclaimer: I curse up a blue streak on a regular basis. I may, in fact, have the foulest mouth of anyone I know.

However, I also know that there are certain times one shouldn’t curse. So as much as I love my foul language, I don’t use it (i) in court; (ii) in front of grandma and grandpa; or (iii) in front of children. I also don’t use it in interviews. Frankly, when I’m interviewing people, I need to know that they can tailor their language to their audience.

So as hypocritical as it may be, I would view a candidate who cursed as one who lacked judgment.

It’s not hypocritical at all. As you said, there is a time and a place and an interview is neither. The question raised by the OP is specifically if “damn” crosses the line.

I’m still surprised that anyone noticed. I’d be far more concerned with the content of what they were saying than the use of something I can’t believe anyone still thinks is a swear. I can’t imagine anyone being told, I’m sorry, you are absolutely qualified for this job and we need you, but you said a bad word during the interview so we can’t higher you. Mind you I wouldn’t swear during an interview, but damn might slip out, and well, so what? To me, it seems like making a mountain out of a molehill.

I would not be impressed, but it probably wouldn’t be a deal-breaker. Probably. It depends a lot on context – big strike if said about a person, not so much if it were part of a wry story about dealing with some equipment. I have been known to curse a lot, but not generally at work, and I would be mortified if it slipped out in an interview.

Then again, I would be even less impressed by someone who said “crap” in an interview. I’m not mortally offended, but it strikes me as less than professional. I know I’m fighting a losing battle with my war on “crap” in formal speech.

My view on damn and crap at work is probably colored by the fact that every position I would be involved with the interview process is one that has a lot of interaction with the outside world, so I am specifically looking for “presentation” issues when I meet with candidates – can the person match his/her style and tone to different audiences? As the interviewer, I am not saying “damn,” and I think that is something candidates should pick up on at some level and match accordingly.

I swear like a fucking sailor. We say “fuck” around the office all the time.

I’d say “damn” in front of my 3 year old niece.

I’m not offended by anything.

And, I still wouldn’t say “damn” in a job interview, and I’d seriously question the judgement of the person who would. I’d say it’s sort of on par with not shaving, or not combing your hair for the interview. I think that in an interview, you err on the side of “conservative”.

I think the lesson here is plain. We live in a world of cranks, fools and people who are wrapped waaaay too tight. Many of them interview people for jobs. Don’t give 'em any rope to hang you with.

I dropped an “F bomb” at my “welcome to the company” lunch with the boss. He didn’t implode over it. In fact, he seemed relieved that he could cuss with abandon. I think the world is much more accepting of profanity than it was in the past. “Damn” wouldn’t raise an eyebrow in any place I’ve worked, and I’ve had a lot of jobs.

What is it that you do for a living exactly? Have you ever had to hire anyone? How would you decide who to hire when choosing between two candidates?

“I’d pick the one most able to do the job” right?

Well, it’s easy to find people who CAN do the job. The trick is finding people who WILL do the job without goofing around, slacking off or turning into bitter malcontents because someone asks them to do their job.

Why do I need to be “uptight” about that kind of stuff? Well, it’s because I like getting paid. I can only get paid so long as our company keeps it clients happy and to do that we need good people. Hiring screwups cost money because we still have to pay them, but we can’t staff them on projects because God forbid they have an outburst in front of some auditor or lawyer.

At the very least, I would expect that an interviewee goes through the hiring ritual as expected - wear a suit, bring a resume, be polite, avoid colorful language, look and act professional. Put on the same act we expect you to put on in front of a client.

I have to be uptight because if I’m not, a month from now, this guy could be the same boob telling me “don’t be so uptight” when I’m asking him why he’s three hours late again or hasn’t completed his work yet. Or even worse, he might tell some client paying us $400 an hour to “fucking relax”.

I’m with mishell. I would consider the use of “damn” to be an automatic dealbreaker, and I would probably let it slide. However, I would also expect that people to put their best foot forward during a job interview. If you’re not sure if swearing is allowed, better not do it.

I wholeheartedly agree with msmith537. Somebody who uses the word “damn” during a job interview is more likely than others to use it when speaking to vendors, or customers, or investors. Because he’s willing to swear (albeit mildly) during an interview, there’s also a greater chance that he’d be willing to use stronger epithets. If I had to choose between him and someone who didn’t swear, I’d pick the latter.

NOTE: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am NOT saying that someone who says “damn” during an interview will indeed cuss at customers or investors. Nor am I saying that he WILL use stronger language at inappropriate times. When interviewing job applicants though, one has to form judgments about how these people will comport themselves in the workplace, and the use of profanity (however mild) doesn’t reflect well on the applicant.

Yep, just like when I interview I don’t say negative things about my past employers and I spin everything to the positive.

Thanks everyone for your take on this. In this case I think he did slip in telling an anecdote and “intensified” what he was saying, but without an agenda. I didn’t bring it up when asked to evaluate him, but it’s a caution I will feel around him.

I work with someone else who feels that no words are not to be said, it’s just where they are appropriate that differs. So she consistently uses fuck when no one else does. I’m aware that we’re on opposite ends of the spectrum, and I sometimes resent it that my end loses out.

What’s your problem? Surely you do not object to anyone feeling resentment at being on the wrong end of a nonconsensual, unequal power relationship, which pretty much defines the relationship between job seeker and employer (or their representative). They HAVE to adhere to your standards, whatever the fuck they might be, however the hell they feel about them, if they want to get the job. So swearing is right off the table, along with honesty and anything else that gets between the applicant and the job.

People quite naturally, and quite rightly, hate being in that position. But they have to do what they need to in order to find employment, otherwise they’ll wind up homeless or in jail.

Deal with it. It’s the system YOU love.

Hey, I’m pretty nervous as the interviewer too, as I have to help find the right person who will do a good job. Sue me if I look at every little thing, and as others have said, the interviewee is checking us out too and I guess they can decline for not feeling comfortable in the interview.

So we shouldn’t do job interviews or fire people in your world, now?

From my point of view, “damn” isn’t a curse word, a swear word, or strong language at all. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it around children. It’s nothing more than informal language, just like “it’s” instead of “it is.” I wouldn’t use it in a written presentation, but in conversation, even in an interview, it would go entirely unnoticed.

I wouldn’t even notice “damn’”. If he mentioned that his nickname for his old boss was “Cuntfuck McNiggerWop”, that might give me pause, however.

No, both things are necessary in this sad old excuse for the perfect world we’ve constructed to date. A little more honesty about the nature of the dynamics involved would be appreciated, is all.

I work with about 100 guys - and they swear like crazy. I swear like crazy. My boss swears like crazy. None of us could imagine swearing during a job interview! Good Lord!

Yep. Exactly.

I am so going to hell for laughing at this…