Dare we devise a Dallas Doper debauch?

Hear, hear.
hands Irishman a wee drop o’ the Black Bush

Sure’n yer a foine, foine man. Thanks for speaking out. I agree with you - make the Austin get together a separate one.

Not that I have anything against Austin, mind you. I’d love to live there but my mother would hunt me down, kill me, and take my son back to Dallas with her.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

It’s a good thing too, you know tiaras go better with sequins than leather. :wink:
Sounds like March 11th is the date, probably the Grapevine Marriot. I’ll check it out this weekend.

Note to other SDMB’ers - this will be real near DFW airport. C’mon - fly to Dallas and meet some crazy Texans. If you do that, let me know & I’ll pick you up at the airport!

…in a state so nonintuitive it can only be called weird…

Interested to hear how the advance scouting party to the bar went, Zyada…

Dallas? Austin? Both of those are fine I guess, but how about everyone meet in Waco? Or am I the only one here?

Oh, and a little side note: In the Sat. Waco Tribune-Herald, the Branch Dividians are almost done building their new church. They are still accepting donations, so if you guys happen to be in Mt Carmel and have some spare change…

I’d like to go to the Dallas thing, but I have to see what car I will have on that date. My truck won’t make it, and if I get this one car, I should not have any problems.

“Rolling with the dopes you know. Rolling with the wrong gun on you”
“I dream that she aims to be the bloom upon my misery”

• I Miss The Girl Soul Coughing

Hey, Brood… I was living in Waco as recently as May 1999 (since August 1997).

Good to hear that the Branch Davidians are getting back on their feet.

And, to keep this on topic: Waco is halfway between Dallas and Austin (90 miles from each) and I’m frequently in that neck of the woods… what a dreamy idea for a future Texas thing!

Just wanted to point out that the hotel in question is an Embassy Suites, not a Marriott. Wouldn’t want any Dopers ending up at the Marriott over on S.H. 114 and Esters by mistake.

Alas, Chef, the scouting trip wasn’t all that exciting, since no one tried to pick me up. :frowning:

I checked out the Hilton & Embassy Suites by Grapevine Mills Saturday night; and the Sheraton, Harvey Hotel and Marriot on 114 Sunday night. The bar in every last one is some type of sports bar. :blechh: Sorry, Suzeanne, I just don’t care for sports. The Sheraton had the best layout for my taste, with a nice nook cut off from the rest of the bar, so we don’t disturb the other patrons :eek:

Still, we have over a month still, so I’m going to go on at least one more scouting trip. Who knows, maybe someone will pick me up this time! :wink:

…in a state so nonintuitive it can only be called weird…

Hey, Zyada, I live in Grapevine. Next scouting trip, stop by, we’ll go together.

And I will, most likely, try to pick you up.

Damn, Jim - somehow I missed your post. :o
Everyone mark your calendars -

March 11, 2000
All-Sports Bar
Sheraton Grand Hotel
Highway 114 & Esters Blvd, Irving, TX 75063
(972) 929-8400

There’s a whole nest of hotels right there, if anyone is coming in from out of town. I’ll check on rates & post it later.

What time?

What time are y’all meeting? I have a wedding to go to on the same day but I’d love to stop by and visit with some of the SD gang.

“Man looks in the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.”

D’oh!

How about starting at 7:00. Til they run us out of the bar.

Nooooo, not a Saturday night!!!
Aaaahhh!!!

Well, unless kids are allowed and someone can bring me back to Grapevine, I’m out again.

I just haven’t been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Damn, another Grapevine resident? That makes JimB, Kepi, Suzeanne, and I live just two blocks from Grapevine.

Suzeanne - if you want to email me, I could probably take you.

It’s not the getting there, it’s the getting home. The hubby works in Irving, and was at least a Doper on the old board. I figure he’ll probably join us now that we have two computers and he won’t screw up my cookies and suddenly have everything marked read.

And I dunno … tossing my two kids into the mix would sort of screw up any chance of intelligent conversation on my part.

Oh well. Have fun, eh?

I just haven’t been the same since that house fell on my sister.

I suppose that we should have a reservation. Since this is the Straightdope, it should probably be under the name Felcher.

“He love people, all of them, washed and unwashed; he loves his wretched pack of sponging relatives. He shoots people, arrests people, but he doesn’t like it.”

Hell, I have LOTS of reservations.

But I’m going to try real hard to make it anyway.

The only thing that might keep me away is that my kid is having his birthday party the next day and I might have to stay home and get ready for the party if it isn’t done.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef