Dark Souls PC (and Prepare to Die DLC)

Dark Souls launched for the PC yesterday, and the console DLC is set to launch in October.

What’s changed? Well, for one a lot of the lag is gone. Unfortunately this isn’t because From optimized it, it’s a pretty crappy console port, From had it rushed out the door and had no developers with PC experience. However, unless your computer is from 2004 a LOT of the lag is going to be gone.

To express how bad of a port it is, the resolution is locked at 1024x720 resolution. Luckily, it took way under a day to hack that, which also adds things like a cursor hiding hotkey and allows for better framerates if it chugs for you for some reason.

Aside from that, it’s still Dark Souls. I hear they fixed a few bugs and such, but other than that, it’s the same. I think the item duping and infinite souls glitches are even still there.

Oh, wait, I forgot the major new addition. New content. I don’t know the whole extent of it, but you can travel from Darkroot Basin way way way back in time. You can even meet Artorias, whose ring you unceremoniously stole after kicking a puppy holding an awesome sword (YOU MONSTER) to fight the 4 Kings in the main quest. For those of you who have played the original, the rift is where Dusk is imprisoned in a Gold Crystal Golem. One of the areas is Oolacile (or they’re all part of the greater kingdom of Oolacile), so do the math about what that implies about the ruins in Darkroot. It also seems that since Artorias was the Abysswalker, we’ve gotten screens that suggest you’ll be seeing the abyss again. I don’t know if you need to Covenant of Artorias ring to finish the DLC, however.