Dark Sponge Knows The Secrets Of Judaism

Fine. But what have they done for us lately?

No. The real pertinent question to ask about the thread subject:
Is he spongeworthy?

Of course you know who else read those Torah passages about the characteristics of the coming massiah? The people who wrote the new testament. Which is why they had to come up with such a convoluted Christmas story (completely at odds with historical records) to explain how Jesus who everyone know comes from Nazareth, was born a hundred miles away in Bethlehem from a virgin (even though the Torah text actually probably just meant young woman.)

It isn’t some amazing proof of prophesy, it’s a bad retcon.

“Get me the donkey and the colt!”
“Don’t ask, it sounds stupid to me too, but we gotta do what we gotta do to make the story sound legit!”

As Rabbi Hillel said, “That which is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole Law. The rest is commentary. Now go and learn something before you open your yap again.”

As a Christian, I’d like to apologize for every motherfuckin’ Christian who has to justify their tenuous grasp of theology and ignorance of other faiths (and historical fact) by putting their insecurity on full public display. All so they can convince themselves that their “in group” is superior and everyone else is deluded.

Especially the religion that theirs is founded on…
(What religion was Jesus, Duck Spooge?)

I should be clear. I am pitting only Dark Sponge and then only for his claims about Jewish practice and belief. There are plenty of Dopers of various faiths (and atheists too) who I consider righteous.

Jesus was never a Jew.

All of them? All denominations?

No idea, don’t give a shit. Go interview them and report back, if you want.

This is the Pit, so I can say this:

That’s just ignorant, bigoted shit from an ignorant bigoted person.

If you want to criticize Christians and Christianity (and believe me, there’s plenty to criticize), do your fucking homework.

Because without that, it’s just mouth noises from a moron. A bigot and a moron.

Not to mention things like “And so she named the child Jesus, to satisfy the prophecy that he would be named Emmanuel.”.

And yes, @Saintly_Loser, Christians of all denominations can be dumb, arrogant, and confidently incorrect. Not all of them are, but they all can be.

No question about that.

That said, there are plenty here at SDMB who just go right to all Christians, of any denomination, are dumb, arrogant, and confidently incorrect. Especially dumb.

If HMS_Irruncible doesn’t believe that all Christians are dumb, arrogant, and confidently incorrect, and that Christians aren’t inherently less intelligent than him/her, I’ll be happy to know that I was wrong, and
I’ll apologize.

Have you read the Bible…

I have, actually. All of it.

I’ve never actually listened to Kinky Friedman and The Texas Jewboys because after years and years of anticipation, I thought nothing could live up to my expectations.

I was so very wrong.

That was excellent!

And when anyone makes that claim, I’ll be right behind you in denouncing it. Got any examples?

Plenty. But I’m utterly uninterested in trotting them out here and having the usual suspects jump in and defend and reiterate their bullshit, or just insist that they’re right. It’s a waste of time.

I don’t even, as a rule, participate in threads outside the Pit about religion anymore, because someone will drop in and say something bigoted, or just get all self-satisified and smug and superior and say something about pink unicorns or the flying spaghetti monster or something.

I’m sorry I even came into this thread. The poster to whom I replied is, well, you can figure that out for yourself, and today she pushed my buttons. I wasn’t wrong, but I should have known better.

Kinky was fun. He and his band used to be semi-regulars at the old Lone Star Roadhouse in NYC, and I’ve seen them a bunch of times (this is back in the 80s). Always a good time.