Darwin fish: risky?

[

It’s not that it can’t, I just thought that it wasn’t used by non-fundamentalists. Am I wrong?

Yeah, I think that you probably are. At least in that it is not a universally understood notion that it is “fundy only.”

Not that I keep up with everything that fundies do and do not do, but I’ve been a Christian for a long time and I never heard that it was a fundy-only symbol. I daresay that it’s likely that many non-fundies have it on their car, because they also hadn’t heard anything about it being fundy-only.

Or another way of putting it: I don’t look at the Darwin fish and think, “They’re mocking fundies.” I think, “This symbol is designed to mock a Christian symbol, and what do you know? I’m a Christian.”

I don’t think I’m the only one who feels this way. I believe you can find several other people posting in this thread who have come to similar conclusions.

On my car, I have Calvin pissing on Calvin pissing on the truth fish, which is eating the darwin fish, which is eating the gay/lesbian/bi/transgendered triangle.

I don’t think they’re mocking Christians per se. I think they’re mocking creationists.

And they’re using a general Christian symbol to do it. But it doesn’t add up, because not all Christians are creationists, but they choose to mock a Christian (not creationist) symbol anyway.

So some of us are left to wonder whether or not they think that all Christians believe in Creationism, or else we wonder about whether or not the Darwin Fish people give a damn that they are mocking a symbol that doesn’t really fit the point they are (supposedly) trying to make, and may actually offend some pro-evolutionist Christians in the process.

And then we can return to SolGrundy’s point, which bears repeating:

Actually, the Catholic Church (quite non-“fundie”) has made abundant use of the Ichthyus as a symbol for ages. Even I as a teenager wore a pendant in that shape. Now, in the USA it’s true that culturally the likelier bearer of the Ichthyus in recent times is an Evangelical, but that’s more an accident of what has been trendy behavior in American Christianity (mainstreamers and liberals shut up and hide, hardliners wear their faith on their sleeves), than any intrinsic ideology behind the symbol.

I had one for a little while, and besides the 3am “Well, yeah, but what about duck feet?” encounter I had at a gas station, nothing happened.

Once I started to think about it, if it’s not being used in a “stick it to ya!” manner, what exactly does it mean? “Jesus Fish” have “JESUS” inside them occassionally… so do I worship Darwin? No. I don’t even think he’s terribly relevant to modern evolutionary science. So I peeled out the “DARWIN”.

Now I had a fish with feet. I liked it, because you couldn’t really see the feet until you were right up on it. But I started thinking again, what does THIS mean? I settled on it being a symbol for the normal average christian who has no trouble reconciling evolution and christianity. Again, not me. So I peeled the whole thing off.

As for the “Truth Fish” eating the “Evolve Fish”… I always think “You are what you eat.” when I see them.

Currently, I’m thinking of getting some stars and strips stickers printed up with “ONE NATION, INDIVISIBLE” on 'em.

Are you serious? Because I wanna see pictures!

No, I think it means they’re a little too eager to advertise their overly-simplistic belief system, if their entire world-view can be expressed on a car bumper.